Fleet owners that lease their trucks on with companies

aoexpress1

Active Expediter
I am thinking about buying a truck that I can lease out to a company and use the company's authority. I am going to buy a straight truck, not really sure what size it will be. I just know it needs to have a DOT approved sleeper and be a newer model truck. My question is what are the pro's and con's of leasing a truck out to a company and is it profitable? I am not sure whether or not to run teams or solo's.

Thanks

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
People are probably going to need more info than that to try to help you. You need to be more specific I think. Telling people a little more about your situation, what types of trucks you have, what companies your thinking about leasing on to might help.

I don't know anything about the subject tbh but I always see people reply the above when people post a vague question like yours. Just trying to speed up the process for you.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like you realy do not have a plan yet. 1st. decide what you want to do. If you have never been in expediting before and not sure what you want-consider driving for a owner before putting monies down on you're truck. without a solid plan sucess will be hard to obtain.
welcome to our world-enjoy the ride

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
"what are the pro's and con's of leasing a truck out to a company and is it profitable?"

As opposed to what? What's the more profitable plan for you, other than leasing your truck to a carrier? I know we spoke of this MANY months ago, and you had a couple of daycabs you wanted to run locally. What happened with that? Did you call any of those names I gave you? In most cases they would be leasing your equipment as well.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
"what are the pro's and con's of leasing a truck out to a company and is it profitable?"

As opposed to what? What's the more profitable plan for you, other than leasing your truck to a carrier? I know we spoke of this MANY months ago, and you had a couple of daycabs you wanted to run locally. What happened with that? Did you call any of those names I gave you? In most cases they would be leasing your equipment as well.

Jefferson sounds like you have helped this member before. I would have to agree with Phil, they need to go to the link that Phil posted.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
My advice - Get a truck and get on the road.

As an owner, you need to understand how it works from the driver's point of view and if lack experience in this industry (meaning driving for at least a few years) or you are not willing to do this, then go get a Subway Franchise.