Flat rate per pallet

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
I’m looking at starting a local lite-hauling/delivery service and I was wondering what a good flat rate per pallet would be? I’m not looking at getting into logistics, or cube or $$ per mile and all that b.s. just a simple flatrate –anywhere in the city. I thought of charging a flat rate of 100.00/per pallet +50.00 for extra boxes regardless of weight or am I selling myself short?? My dad thinks I would be losing money at 100/skid and my friends thinks it should be 200 minimum. I have seen some big name carriers quote as high as 500.00 per skid.

It’s just gonna be a 15’ Uhaul with a momma’s attic repainted white with my logo, and one pallet jack 1 guy I hire as driver/unloader.

Simple 1 person delivery service.

Any thoughts?

lemme knowU-Haul-630x472.jpg

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
What would you do with a pallet jack without a lift gate or dock high truck?

Ah you noticed the same thing I did. I had thought a couple weeks ago, so my other plan was to get a regular cube van and have one of those Tommy Railgate’s installed on it, but that would set me back 10K . Is this generally what people do??? Or is it better to start with just a dock high truck like a 5 or 10 ton??

edit: my reason for a cheap little 15' uhaul was simply that becuase it was CHEAP. i can get one for as little as 3600 or even 6000 for a e350 cube van
it occurs to me that a 10 tonne is like a 30-40k investment and i'm not getting into big trucks right now becuase my aspiration was not to start a trucking company. just a little small truck delivery service.

Lemme know

Thanks

CVM

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’m looking at starting a local lite-hauling/delivery service and I was wondering what a good flat rate per pallet would be? I’m not looking at getting into logistics, or cube or $$ per mile and all that b.s. just a simple flatrate –anywhere in the city. I thought of charging a flat rate of 100.00/per pallet +50.00 for extra boxes regardless of weight or am I selling myself short?? My dad thinks I would be losing money at 100/skid and my friends thinks it should be 200 minimum. I have seen some big name carriers quote as high as 500.00 per skid.

It’s just gonna be a 15’ Uhaul with a momma’s attic repainted white with my logo, and one pallet jack 1 guy I hire as driver/unloader.

Any thoughts?

lemme knowView attachment 12124
A courier service would blow you out of the water! Your rates for local service are way to high.

Reactions: neilblack

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
A courier service would blow you out of the water! Your rates for local service are way to high.
well i had heard that someone say it was somewhere around 50.00 for courier service, but i'm not letting em get off easy at 50.00 perskid, especially if i have to get my truck to haul a 2000lb skid of kittylitter all the way across the city. With the rates of insurance up here, anything less than 75.00 and i'd be losing money :(:(:(

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
well i had heard that someone say it was somewhere around 50.00 for courier service, but i'm not letting em get off easy at 50.00 perskid, especially if i have to get my truck to haul a 2000lb skid of kittylitter all the way across the city. With the rates of insurance up here, anything less than 75.00 and i'd be losing money :(:(:(
Hmmmm who's gonna transport my kitty litter? The 50 buck truck or the 100 buck truck?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand but let it be known that this is not an exercise in charity – this is an income acceleration exercise
A 1 truck service can't compete with a multi truck service, never could never will, you have 1 truck paying the bills they have 10 or more.

Last edited:

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter

Any thoughts?

I think I would do a market survey to see what the other courier companies are charging, you or a buddy or somebody you know can call around and check their rates. Set your rates a little lower and see if you can still make money.
Also, look around for a cube van with a liftgate already installed on it, some of these are around and for sale in most the urban areas.
good luck,

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I can tell you that a courier service in my area ( southern Indiana ) charges 90 bucks for a local delivery. And that's just for a small item that someone could take in the back of a pickup, or even a car. So I don't understand why you guys think 100 bucks to haul a skid is over priced. Seems like a good deal to me.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
R

Any thoughts?

Found this on the net. Could be some guidance for pricing here.

Local Delivery Rates - Cargo Vans

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Local rates in the op's area are going to dictate what he can charge. If others are charging fifty bucks thinking he can get 100.00 for anything more than the occasional load is a pipe dream.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't wanted to say much. But--- I suspect this guy is running into trouble. He's going to have to charge cargo-van rates to get anything at all in that cube-van, and competing with local courier outfits--- many of which have turned into distribution centers which pay the drivers dirt cheap-- may not be the best plan.
I used to work for a courier outfit before signing on with the outfit I'm with now, they are a distribution outfit, load your van in the morning at the warehouse and then spend the rest of the day unloading the van over parts of three counties. Their ad is in Craigslist EVERY DAY looking for drivers to sign on--- there's a reason for that, and it's not because the drivers are in danger of getting wealthy any time soon.

I'm not sure you can get by with charging one hundred dollars per pallet when the competition is giving away their services.

Reactions: Turtle