Flat bed straight trucks

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would think more suited for hot shot work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
more work, more pay but I have to tell you flatbed work is not easy.on a daily I think I could load flatbed straights like your expedite straights for no less than $2 per mile and some freight would pay well over $4.call try-state they broker out alot of flat freight.I see some flat on panther.
But if I wanted to stick to just expedite I would get a class 8 ten wheeler curtain side so I could do van or flat.I do a 35' flat with a one ton pick up I dont really expedite alot but when my pick-up is on the road 6k per week is more common now than 2k but I have more cargo space than a straight truck.there are some downsides the driver has to like the work its not always clean it can envolce an hour or two of physical work if the load requires tarpping.I have 6ft drop tarp 48' long that gets heavier every day.

jt1980a

Active Expediter
Anyone know of any more companies out there that will load or better yet Lease a 26' flatbed straight truck? I scurried the internet but cant find any carriers who deal with this this type of equipment or advertise it anyway?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Anyone know of any more companies out there that will load or better yet Lease a 26' flatbed straight truck?

I presume 26' is the length of the bed. How long is the truck itself, bumper to bumper?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't see a straight flatbed or even a flatbed semi being very practical for general expediting. A curtain-side straight or semi would be more versatile and makes more sense, especially if you have a specific customer that requires a flat.

guido4475

Not a Member
In a town where steel mills are prominent, yes.Oil field towns as well.In Cleveland, Ohio, there are a few local companies that had a few o/o's with 10 and 6 wheel flatbeds, and did real well.I was real close to taking my box off and changing it to a flatbed, back in 1990.

Than I was at Ryerson steel one day, picking up flat coils, and sitting in the warm truck, while it was snowing/sleeting/cold/windy outside, and watching flatbedders rolling their tarps in that mess, and thought, "Screw that!!!!"

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Tarping gives you character.
They are pretty common in Chicago/ NW Indiana due to steel mills.
May beable to contract out to lumber yard or building supply stores just about anywhere.
Or van lines that use container boxes.
Probably work available. Just not in expediting.
You just have to think OUTSIDE THE BOX on this one.

guido4475

Not a Member
Tarping gives you character.
They are pretty common in Chicago/ NW Indiana due to steel mills.
May beable to contract out to lumber yard or building supply stores just about anywhere.
Or van lines that use container boxes.
Probably work available. Just not in expediting.
You just have to think OUTSIDE THE BOX on this one.

That is what I was running also back than, was expedited local/OTR freight. You don't think That if Meyer Products needs A bin of snowplow brackets in a hurry, because they ran out, They wouldn't hesitate to use a expedited company? With a few flatbeds? Where they prefer their tubs being taken off by a crane? They did it all of the time.And still do.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I talked to a few Landstar agents and was told they could put loads on one. But, since it was LTL it wouldn't pay very well or be consistent.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
Is there enough of a demand to keep one busy is the question.

If you were to run for a local company that had the customer base, as well as the local economy with this kind of supporting work, such as a steel town, oil drilling area, etc..I made a very comfortable living back in 89-93 doing local 7-5 pm work, home evenings and weekends, to the average of $2,300 a week.Stayed in Ohio, mostly northeastern. Filled up both fuel tanks on a International 25,500 GVW DTA360 engine, 5 speed, 16 ft, x 102 wide x 109 high box, air ride, air brake truck once a week.I was living large at an early age...I had to really hustle to do this kind of money, but it was worth it. I'd say yes, local, but not over the road.