FL80 Electrical Quirk

fdell

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
MY 2001 FL 80 is having "good" and "bad" alternator days! It will always charge to 13.5 volts at idle. Very often while at road speed it drops to 11.6-11.9 volts,and of course the charge warning light comes on. Never happens at the dealer. The alternator,belt,and belt tensioner have been replaced purely on guesswork.Checked all the grounds and battery connections.It's hell having to choose between wipers and mirror heat! Dealer says to "run till it breaks,then we can find the problem." Any thoughts?......

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How about posting the name of the Freightliner Dealer that told you to wait till it fails.This way we can all avoid that dealer.I have heard of this problem occurring with trucks that have sleepers built and installed by Alum Bunk.Apaarently the
wiring leaves something to be desired.Why not try having someone pull the various relays while you are driving and see if it can be isolated.
Also the guys who man the Freightliner Hotline in Oregon have proven to be very usefull to me.The number is 1-800-385-4357,the web site is www.alliancesupport.com. Since you are still under warranty find out if the Dealer will pay for your towing (if needed). Good Luck..I know how frustrating these problems can be as I am dealing with a fuel system problem that no one can fix short of dropping the tanks and steam cleaning them to the tune of about $800..

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are you chewing belts? Are your batteries connected properly? If one of them is isolated, it may not be wired right. It's frustrating when you have a problem that won't make an appearance around a mechanic! Keep track of the times you bring it in. If it leaves you stranded, you can argue with your regoinal FL rep and get that tow reimbursed. Drive Happy! Chris

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here are some other possibilities:
1: Loose wiring on the starter
2: A bad harmonic balancer (outer ring walking around hub) I think this may be your trouble as your drop in voltage occurs at speed- common on Cummins engines esp. 8.3's
3: Defective replacement alternator

I (think) that about covers all the unobvious possibilities :)
Good Luck
Weave

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't understand what the harmonic balancer has to do with the problem. Could you explain it to me? Thanks.

NO NECK

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I HAVE AN FL-70 AND HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM, ONLY MY TEMP GAUGE WOULD PEAK AND THE VOLTMETER WOULD GO TO ZERO. NEITHER AFFECTED THE ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND I THOUGHT SURELY THOSE PROBLEMS WOULD SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN, BUT IT KEPT RUNNING. FINALLY, I WOULD BUMP THE DASH WITH MY FIST AND EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL FOR AWHILE, THEN ANOTHER BUMP, ETC., ETC. CHANGED BOTH GAUGES AND NO MORE PROBLEMS. LIKE YOU SAID THOUGH, TRY TO GET IT TO DO THE SAME THING IN THE SHOP, RIGHT? I LUCKED OUT.