FL 70 Fuller 6 speed

G

My FL 70 has 375K miles on it .I have a Cummins C engine with a Fuller 6 speed transmission. Last month I had the clutch adjusted and since then I hear a noise coming out of the transmission area at slow speeds,irevelant of what gear I am in.It is a scraping type of noise and goes away when I engage the clutch and put in into neutral.I was wondering if anyone out here has had the same thing happen and what it is, as I am totally afraid of the so called Freightliner mechanics in this area. All they know is REPLACE the item in question.From my old auto days I think there was a throwout bearing between the clutch and transmission that could go out,but I don!t know if this happens in trucks.So if anyone can give light to this can u e mail me at [email protected].. thanks

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Did you get the clutch re-adjusted? Sounds like it might be just beacuse the clutch wasn't adjusted properly.

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
From what you describe, I would also believe that the adjustment was'nt done properly.

The Hound

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Drink a few cans of cold Budweiser and in awhile you won't care if you hear it or not.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Rich,

My codriver (my mechanical advisor) says to have them grease the throwout bearing. Try that for a little while and see it that helps. If it doesn't help you may want to consider replacement of the throwout bearing.

If it takes care of it everytime you get a PM done to have them put more grease in it. Use a hand grease gun.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bill and everyone else.Thanks for the advice,A while back I called Freightliner hot Line in portland OR and they thought the bearing needed to be lubricated.I went under the truck,removed the plate,greased it and and guess what.it no longer makes noise. Lately I have been having the truck serviced at one of these express lube places and they may have been unaware of this fitting as there is a protection plate over it.
One other thing Budweiser doesn!t work for me,I am a Coors man..LOL