Fishing lure

LesleyRobbins

New Recruit
Hello everyone! Was not sure where to ask this but I figured that this place is as good as any.
In my free time when I'm not working (trucking) I like to fish and what not. Would anyone be able to recommend me a good reel for my fishing rod? I'm interested to see if there are any fisherman here too. :)

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well that a Wide open question, similar to what's your favorite vehicle.?
Options...
Salt water or Fresh Water ?
Where live ?
Open or Closed faced reel ?
General multi use reel or specific baircaster or Trolling reel ?
Pan fish , bass , catfish , walleye or what fish type ?

Remember any day Fishing is a good day ...

" LOAD 1 "

LesleyRobbins

New Recruit
Yeah, I should have given a much more detailed question. Both salt and Fresh. I am from NY. I am mostly looking at any suggestions as I am starting out. I like to drive off on the weekends for a good couple of days fishing.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like to drive off on the weekends for a good couple of days fishing.
bad_day_fishing_blank_card-r88dab898f67146209fa83a55aec2ad49_em0cj_307.jpg

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am a Closed Face Reel man. It's what I was raised on and it's what my Son's and I use to this date . Tried open face but kids get tangled more than fishing time and that takes the Fun out of it . Bait Casting reel , lol , I ended up giving the reel away .

I have 17 or 18 (last time my WIFE counted ) set-up ready to fish Rods and Reels (ice fishing rods not included) starting with 4 ft pole up to 7 ft graphite rods .
Zebco 33 ultra reels on 12 of the poles . These are set up for kids from 3 to 25 years of age to use , or friends of my Son's if they need to borrow a pole .
Now the best 6 are set up with the Zebco Omega reel pictured on 5 1/2 to 7 ft Graphite poles . These are fishing with Dad "Only "
use set ups . ALL my reels use 10 lb line .. Zebco 33's are 3 ball bearings .
Zebco Omega reels are 7 to 8 Steel ball bearings.
Also at home stock is 6 fully loaded Tackle boxes , ready for grab and go fishing .
Next trip home I will put my 2 poles in Van that are 5 1/2 poles with 1 tackle box .
I am Bluegill, Crappie, Bass , Walleye and Catfish setup..download.jpeg

" LOAD 1 "

Reactions: LesleyRobbins

LesleyRobbins

New Recruit
That's some serious gear you have on your fishing rod. I've been doing some digging on places like Amazon and craigslist but I didn't end up liking anything, to be honest. I came across a "top ten" list that got my attention. I like what I saw on under-the-open-sky.com/best-baitcasting-reels about the Shimano Metanium MGL. Ever heard of it? Actually, I might be having second thoughts. I just checked the price. I would be happy to find something under 200 MAX. Is your reel any good? Cost much? Then again you are a "Closed Face Reel man " :) At this point, I am not sure what fisherman I am. Much thanks for the detailed answers.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Omega reels are $50. to $80.00 depending on where you buy them. Test the feel and balance at Bass Pro / Cabela's and save money buying elsewhere..

PS ... I have some reels close to 20 years old with heavy use . I don't like replacing something that isn't broken.

" LOAD 1 "

Reactions: LesleyRobbins