First Week at Landstar completed

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We went into service one week ago today and have we learned a lot.

1. Phone calls offering loads and we accept or reject load offer at this time
2. Receiving the load on the QC that consists of one page.
Pickup and delivery information
We figure out our directions and customers directions
So far our loads have been ASAP pickup and delivery
3. Learning how to scan in load information to settlements
4. Learning how Comdata works once again to learn card balances
5. Learning how to get information on settlement sheet and pay is on settlement card

We still have a list a mile long of questions and as I cross one question off I add two more!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to Landstar. It is a pretty good learning curve. One thing I would encourage you to do, if you haven't done so already, is get DOD certified. It is well worth it for the teams.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are scheduled for AA&E in January in Tucson AZ and I sure do not mind being in that area of the country in January!

Thank You for the heads up golfournut for the heads up.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is for all new to Landstar and I hope this helps.

Always ask the agents if their carrier group or Express if you never have used them before, this is from experience. Express agents tell us the total money we'll be paid and carrier group agents will tell us the gross before Landstar's cut. You will need to make sure you tell them what you need including fuel.

Break down on what I mean about different agents

Express agent tells you 2,000 for load that is what your paid including fuel.

Carrier group agent tells you 2,000 you have to break fuel out let's say 50 cents now you have 1.5 which you get 62% therefore you'll be paid .93 + .50= 1.43.

Number two, anytime you take a carrier group load the fuel money will be loaded on your settlement card not your fuel card, where as, express loads can only be loaded on settlement cards. Don't ask me why, all I've got from Landstar on this issue revolves around that they use two different systems.

Last edited:

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3. Learning how to scan in load information to settlements

Make a bunch of copies of the Express cover sheet go to Landstaronline go to info got to forms then pdf forms express trip sheets.

4. Learning how Comdata works once again to learn card balances

Simple call to comdata or just go to landstaronline go to money and click card balances.
remember this if you go to a ATM you get 1.00 fee from comdata plus what the atm charges. Transfering money to the bank is a 1.00 fee.

5. Learning how to get information on settlement sheet and pay is on settlement card

Landstar online go to money and click direct docs. that will be your settlement sheet and settlement card info if you used the card during that week.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, regarding Comdata :
When you have a load that is NOT Express, your fuel money is loaded on your settlement card, by you on the website, not by the agent. This fuel money can ONLY be used for fuel and cash advance, you CANNOT purchase DEF . You can get cash and use it for DEF purchase though. This issue is supposed to be resolved by January 2015.

Edit:
Make sure to call and get your license linked to your settlement card. Your fuel card will probably already be done for you, but you have to call Jacksonville and get your settlement card linked as well.

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Here are some tips I have learned:

First do not use fuel card only use settlement card as we get the same discount and only have one load fee.

Second I use in cab scanning and I do not have to do a cover sheet I use the one inside direct scan works pretty darn slick

We have not had to purchase DEF but do not foresee a problem using settlement card?

I had forgotten that the other agents offer the load out different ways Thank You for the reminder.

We started by using the Comdata card for fuel and I quickly remembered why this card frustrates me but I will figure out a way to adjust to using this card once again.

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to give out tips as it sure helps as many of us muddle through all of this. I will be glad when it becomes second nature to us.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I quit using the fuel card. I keep enough money on the settlement card each week to cover a weeks worth of fuel purchases. This way I never have to get an advance.

Doing this means the only fees Com data charges me is the $1.75 a week when our settlement gets loaded.

Less head aches using only one card also.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Another tip you may or may not know about. ..

If you log onto the landstar website and go to manage load subscriptions, you can set it up to automatically notify you anytime a load meeting your specific criteria becomes available.

Just remember that the revenue amounts shown on those loads are gross revenue. You can kind of get an idea of what the load will pay you but until you tall to the agent you won't know the exact amount that you will get.

Play around with the settings until you get it customized how you like it.

You will be surprised at some of the loads that pop up!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Keep a keen eye out for direct scan charges. Occasionally a WB # scan charge will be charged to you or double billed on separate settlements for a direct scan that is not your WB.
If scanning at truck stops, I haven't noticed an issue with those. Only on in cab scanning. A quick call to settlements fixes it.

If you are printing trip sheets, first fill out driver, company and truck # on your computer the print. One less thing to fill out later.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I quit using the fuel card. I keep enough money on the settlement card each week to cover a weeks worth of fuel purchases. This way I never have to get an advance.

Doing this means the only fees Com data charges me is the $1.75 a week when our settlement gets loaded.

Less head aches using only one card also.

$1.75 when loaded and $1.00 if you call and do a direct deposit. $2.75 total com data fees to get it in your bank.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I don't take advances. In a Sprinter, to much a pain to go around back. I get what I need for showers the rest I buy elsewhere.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Here are some tips I have learned:

First do not use fuel card only use settlement card as we get the same discount and only have one load fee.

Second I use in cab scanning and I do not have to do a cover sheet I use the one inside direct scan works pretty darn slick

We have not had to purchase DEF but do not foresee a problem using settlement card?

I had forgotten that the other agents offer the load out different ways Thank You for the reminder.

We started by using the Comdata card for fuel and I quickly remembered why this card frustrates me but I will figure out a way to adjust to using this card once again.

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to give out tips as it sure helps as many of us muddle through all of this. I will be glad when it becomes second nature to us.

When you set up load alerts, ALWAYS double check the rate to the truck. Have the agent break it down and take out the FSC.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Another tip you may or may not know about. ..

If you log onto the landstar website and go to manage load subscriptions, you can set it up to automatically notify you anytime a load meeting your specific criteria becomes available.

Just remember that the revenue amounts shown on those loads are gross revenue. You can kind of get an idea of what the load will pay you but until you tall to the agent you won't know the exact amount that you will get.

Play around with the settings until you get it customized how you like it.

You will be surprised at some of the loads that pop up!

We have looked at this and did put in some parameters just playing around but I will look at this again. Great Tip!

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
We have looked at this and did put in some perimeters just playing around but I will look at this again. Great Tip!

When on a load, use the standard mode. Set it for your date of delivery and destination. Fill the rest out for your parameters.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, regarding Comdata :
When you have a load that is NOT Express, your fuel money is loaded on your settlement card, by you on the website, not by the agent. This fuel money can ONLY be used for fuel and cash advance, you CANNOT purchase DEF . You can get cash and use it for DEF purchase though. This issue is supposed to be resolved by January 2015.

Edit:
Make sure to call and get your license linked to your settlement card. Your fuel card will probably already be done for you, but you have to call Jacksonville and get your settlement card linked as well.
I call operatons and get them to load fuel to settlement if needed.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
$1.75 when loaded and $1.00 if you call and do a direct deposit. $2.75 total com data fees to get it in your bank.
I never did a direct deposit from the comdata card. I would write a comchek and then deposit it electronically in my bank. 2 or 3 minutes longer process, but you save a buck.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I never did a direct deposit from the comdata card. I would write a comchek and then deposit it electronically in my bank. 2 or 3 minutes longer process, but you save a buck.

Never done that. Gonna have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.