First two weeks !

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Some down time...whew!...welp it s been like this; 62 cts a mile...(56% of the ticket)...crossed the border ,windsor, on every run,lost about 750 miles on those crossings ,the canadian brokers an customs are a hell of a lot faster,than comin back into the states 3 hrs about each time,My G*D the line getting into the states are HORENDOUS!...if i had a d unit it would be 3 to 5 hrs wait time,even before getting to the bridge...going into the states... First weeks ck after all the deductions was " fair ",out of six runs one was a daytime run to st louis...the others have come in a t 8 pm to 10 pm and only 288 mi average ,pick up in the states deliver to toronto area... drive all night and get backabout 12 to 5 pm next day, ( guess its what youd call payin your dues )...one run 175 miles took ALL DAY 18 figgen hrs, to do, due ,to icin condition on my return trip ,Monroe county dont have salt trucks i guess 5 to 10 mph for 30 miles...company folks are really great people hopin for some runs only in the states soon , NO COMPLAINTS ,these good folks took the chance on my sorry ##### when no none else would,xcept the "colonel" all ready have gained plenty of ivaluable experience paperwork customs etiquete etc etc etc...yeah the nights in the back of the van are cold but with two comforters both downfilled and a sleepin bag im toasty ( untill i poke my head out )...im exhausted, but smilin like a fool to just be back on the road...hopin to get a mo. bankroll up soon and a D unit so i can afford to run "like the colonel ";) ...itll be a while cause ive fallin behind in all my bills no biggee to me but dont say a word of it to the mrs ,the lienholder, YIKES! LOL...already seen two nasty crashes ,four wheelers, gosh amighty thing s have gotten really crazy ,theyre drivin like the hellhounds on thier tail or some such,..ok thought id say howdy and time to get some ZZZZZZZZZ s...many blessings to all ! an thx agin! ...WR

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
WR,

Thanks for the follow up. It is rare for anyone to follow up and share their experience after getting their start through EO so we have enjoyed your post!

Would you mind sending me a Private Message and telling me what carrier you chose to lease with?

Best wishes for continued success!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey you wazzy wabbit!!! :)

Glad to see your gettin your kicks in finally! Is it what you had imagined or thought it would be?

It gets even colder yet! *lol*

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Ontario....say it aint so ! colder yet?..:)...my kid got me a 12 volt warmin blanket (regali,only 14.99 from tjmaxx) it dosnt say a thing about amp draw etc ...guess ill plug it in overnight and see if my van will start in the am...;)...hey you got some sweet "country" up by oh heck east of orangeville...Whats up with that place Armstrong bros. Tons of horses hope its not a dogfood or glue place saw some nice horseflesh thier,one day im gonna be sharing my 10 acrs here in mi. with a horse...pssst, ( dont tell my broker or Armstrong this,i didnt see no trespasser will be shot on site signs so i took it as a invitation...almost put in a job application but then im a american and wouldnt want to take away a canadians job!)... ( wink wink )...yeah im enjoyin something for once , its been two long years of TOTAL BULL on this end !...only thing i got a problem other that customs of course is the fatigue thing boy i forgot about that .....thats a REAl drag ya know ?gotta do sumthin bout that!...funny how when you get to the bridge its like " BOING " wide awake ...Wifes bummed cause the co. doesnt have a rider policy...to be honest a bit disapointed on this end also...funny thing here , had a delivery to the tech center ok? and the guard had a semi fit when he found i had a old alarm clock the wind up kind thats got the two ringers on the top with the striker..he picks it up and goes.."Hurumph this dont look good"...i looked and him an giggled and said welp wakes my butt up!...he proceeded to go thru my box of chains an everything !aftera all that ,all i did was drive 50 figgen ft on the other side of the gate and a guy in a pickup truck drives up an transfered the load to him...so do a u turn an ,get this, the guard is still thier lookin out of the booth and he still has me open my rear doors and gets inside and looks around...MY gosh ! actually made my day... i just love this Biz! ...ya meet em all...someday ill tell ya bought the 14 yr old hooker on christmass eve.at 130 a.m..across the bridge...im thinkin on goin Pimphuntin on fort street...all it would take would be one well placed ,oh cant go thier can i ?...or can i?...i surely hope god does have a bottmless pit! and i hope i get to see it from a distance of course...i raised two girls by myself an i got no patience for pimptypes...welp to answer yur question...Yes its everything i was hoping for and more!...and you were right when its slow its REALLY slow...LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well damn wabbit! sounds like your havin a ball~ Theres sometin about the better half stayin home tho It really crowds the van up and they sure get
grumpy on those cooooold nights, better to suffer alone!*lol* ( i'll be gettin slapped for that! )
Armstrong Bros! You was on Hwy 10. Actually besides horses they are a huge transport company as well the horses are the ol mans hobby!
soooo keep warm and enjoy the down time we are here...

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Border crossing into the USA is getting to be a major pain now, the worst I have ever expierienced. Last trip over into Port Huron I was asked questions I have never heard before from customs, and some of them were what I would class as totally none of their business. I guess it all depends on what "color" of alert we are under, and I don't really care to be one to keep track of that crap to carry a few pallets of auto parts back into my home country- I almost feel more at home in Canada now, at least they treat me better at the border;-)
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Ontario...heard that !..The ol mans hobby? DANG! well bravo for him! sounds like someone id like to meet... WEAVE...yeah its gettin old really fast ! Sometimes i feel like im a friggen immigrant or something,Heck all im tryin to do is get home ! welp the coffees brewin an i gotta do the outlaws Christmas bash...many blessings ! :)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi you silly Wabbit!!!

So you are finally getting your feet wet! Yes it does sound like your having a ball aside from the border crossings. Glad I don’t have to go threw that kind of BS. I just don’t do Canada. From the sounds of the country, I may forget to come back into the US, if I ever get there.

About your blanket I think it draws about 10 amps (meant to say 4 amps)

Found this about the blanket:
Cold winter mornings, long drives at night, even summer trips with air conditioning. Passengers thank you for this fleece blanket.
Warm comfort even when it's not plugged it. 12 volt heated blanket plugs into your lighter. Long cord reaches back seat, up to 8-feet away. Large enough for 2, comfortably warm in minutes.
Washable. 42” x 58”. 100% supersoft polyester fleece. Uses just 4 amps.

As LM stated, “It is rare for anyone to follow up and share their experience after getting their start through EO so we have enjoyed your post!” That is also a ditto on this end. I think it is important and it will show the others this site really works. Hope you continue having a ball!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tony! Your a fountain of information! ;-)

Rabbit, looking forward to your next report, knowing who your carrier is, you'll prolly be slow while GM is on shutdown, surprise me if I am wrong.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
hey wabbit! Going to the heat tomorrow dec 29th Toronto to Florence SC !!!
And thats how we make money during the xmas slowdown!:)
Just keep them wheels a turning!

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Teacel...thx for the info: 4 amps aint to much of a draw ill plug her in and give her a test tonight (at home)... ONTARIO ; ARRRRRGHHHH ! Gosharooti ifn you werent right im still number ? out of number ?...and guess itll be that way for a "spell"...ARRRRRRGH ! Somethings going to have to "give" cause i aint one to sit idlin my time away, and i may not be into it for the "bux" but Da*n ya gotta eat ! (and see the white lines a passin by under your wheels)...South Carolina?...ARRRRRRGHH yurkillin me! :)...At least now that im "in" doors will be more open...hmmmm seems i had a app. all filled out for TRY....Enjoy the south they sure are a lot more kindly down there. Many blessings on the road...ARRRRRGH! LOL ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wabbit! Greetings from S.C. about 65 degrees down here!

I told ya about that place! I was hoping for your sake I was wrong but!

Hope you catch a trip soon.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>
> Ontario;...1 degree cel.flurries here...Yawn...(pacing the
>floor) ARRRRRRGGGHHHH ! ;) good for you bud
>!
LOL.. welcome to what I call the "Reality of Monday"

I think you will find, as I did, anytime you deliver on a Monday morn to Detroit, Windsor, etc... you'll be there til Tues evening.

Now, this is just MY experience.. but usally there are SO MANY Monday morning deliveries in that area, you always end up waiting in line with 20 other drivers to get a run out.

My wife actually brought this up, and looking over my old logs I see she's right, with FedEx, my first run for the week was usually on Tuesday, then I ran all week... and on the good ones, got that weekend run with lots of time that delivered Monday morn.

I got to where I either deadheaded home immediately from Detroit, (only a lil over 4 hrs) or headed somewhere else, like Jackson or somewhere.

Best of luck to ya, and may I suggest taking video games with ya if ya deliver on Monday morn!

Dreamer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rabbit

We're in DC now for a day or so visiting our chidren and grandchildren and spending the New Years here
And yes Mondays can be the longest day of the week.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
WEAVE...just noticed your "quote"..." was a contractor but treated like a employee",noticed that right off,the pic will change or ill have to educate them on that matter ,For, I AM, the master of my own fate,FINALLY! :)...DREAMER, Michigan is where i call "home" hence my wishing for some 48 states run...i just run in an out of canada,as fast as posssible, but canada is one beautifull country,to bad we have boarders, was talking with a fellow at the health food store this a.m. and as he used the "eh" word, ;) , it exposed his nationality so i struck up a conversation and he said the same thing...wishin our countrys were more like a state rather than separate countrys...i dont understand why they ( some Can. folks ) seem to absolutely hate our president tho...guess i shouldnt go there...ONTARIO, as luck would have it my GMC just crapped out on me, had some bugs in her anyway. on a very short run,yeah ill take anything,anytime,like it was a 3am call 75 miles whoooeeee !:)...probably wont get anything again till the 4th ( hmmm ) so i took her...so its a good thing i was "home" and not on hwy 10 or id just have to borrow one of the goodly Mr. Armstrongs "Valiant Steeds", man has he got it made ,yes! or "Eh"?...LOL enjoy the family time...MANY BLESSINGS and a HAPPYNEWYEAR to all who frequent the " board" ! :), you to Colonel ! ;)..............W.R.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
WR,

Wow, sorry your van took a dump on ya, hope it's nothing serious, and you can get back out there quick!

Dreamer

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
WR Is the GM in serious shape? as in expensive fix? Tough luck.

About that president thingee...we'd just rather be Canadian. One day you all will enjoy it when you join as 50 more provinces!!! *LOL*

Happy New Years and DON'T DRINK and DRIVE!!!! Take a cab!!!