First Poor Experience

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
Well I thought I would relate a situation that had occured last week concerning a used truck and a dealership. I spoke with a dealership concerning a good used truck. They sell a lot of expediter trucks, they had nothing in stock at this time that suited my needs for the price i was willing to pay. However i was informed that the had a unit coming in in the next couple of days that might suit my needs. The salesmen provided specifications and I indicated an interest in viewing the truck. The truck was to be priced in the mid 30k range. So far so good.....

I was very much looking forward to viewing the truck and making a deal. That night I continued to search for a truck on the internet and low and behold the truck the dealer had described appeared on the internet for sale from an individual who had some bad luck and had to exit the industry. (seems like all the trucks for sale by owners got a hard luck story attached to them) In any event I spoke with the owner and found out that the truck was going to be picked up by the dealership. THE PRICE THE DEALERSHIP PAID WAS $10,000 less then what it was offered to me for sight unseen.

The next day I get a call from the dealership saying the truck was available for view. I indicated that I knew what the dealership had paid for the vehicle and was unwilling to pay a $10,000.00 upcharge for a truck that just got to his parking lot. The dealer indicated that he knew i knew this information but my price was a special price as the truck was going to be listed for an additional $ 3,000.00 more then it was offered to me for. So instead of trying to sell a truck for a reasonable markup (I feel 12% to 15% is justifiable) which I would have been willing to pay, the dealer is just going to sit the truck and get the next O/O in line looking to make a 33% markup. ( A professional Dealer would have simply said well sir I cant sell you the unit let me find you something else)

My point is this why are these dealerships eating their young!!!! They are out to maximize the short term profit on 1 unit vs starting a relationship with an O/O that might last for years. Most successful O/O will be purchasing multiple units in their careers and may even start fleets. Granted some owners will fail, but it is much the same in every industry. I beleive dealerships have alot to do with the failure of O/O's due to the upselling and failure of the dealer to spend the time to make sure the O/O can afford the unit or worst of all simply putting together a rapist financing package. I get the impression that as long as you "gots the credit you gots the rig.". The dealerships put financing packages together that create a situation that puts the O/O in the truck but they really never actually own it due to either poor leases or negative equity. I see a lot of trucks for sale that are being sold for well over their value due to the balance owed on the unit. I cant buy the unit as its use value is significantly less then the purchase price, i do feel for the owners though. They got caught in the trap and are trying to get out without having to chew off their own leg!

Fellow newbies if your trying to purchase a truck spend a lot of time looking, researching and most importantly understanding your financial situation. The last question to ask is how much am i going to make... the first is what can I reasonably afford. ( it is interesting that a fair amount of the newbie questions on this site involve how much can i make..} Have a budget and a plan of action before you make the first call on a truck. Buying the right tool for the job at a fair and affordable price will go along way to making sure your first year on the road is not your last.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
the dealerships specially freightliner won't just rip you off on the price of a used truck,start thinking about the $100.00 plus an hour mechanic fees and the fact it take 3 hours to do a one hour job, the $350.00 windshield wiper switches, The we can get to it in a week, and taking it back two and three times to get it fixed right from the first time because the mechanics are not even good parts changers anymore,add to the mix that every business that you come in contact with will add a premium to the cost of whatever you are wanting as soon as you add that its for a truck, well you get the idea. In reading some of your posts I am starting to get the impression you are not current on what is happening in the trucking world today, perhaps you could look a little deeper before you take that long dive, this occupation has went thru a lot of changes in the past few years and most of them are not to the owner/operators benefit

jasonsprouse

Expert Expediter
Was the dealer financing the van? Were they giving you a warrantee with the van?

The price that a dealer pays has NOTHING to do with what they sell for. Sometimes they will lose money on a car if they buy it and it ends up needing work (most vehicles are bought at auction knowing little or nothing about the car).

If you had the chance to buy the van at 10K less, there was obviously a reason why you did not.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
NO warranty was information was provided. I did not expect a warranty as the unit had in excess of 200,000 miles and was a 2004. I did not have an opportunity to purchase the unit from the seller as the deal was already made when i contacted him, if it was available I would have made arrangements to purchase it. Further if a warranty were to be provided dont you think the salesmen would have mentioned providing this warranty as a factor justifying the price of the unit?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This is nothing new, the dealers don’t really care and most of the time they will sell the vehicle regardless what the markup is. Oh yea there will be the excuses, overhead, rent, payroll or what ever but it comes down to money in their pockets.

This does not mean there are no dealers out there that won’t give you a deal or care about after sales issues, there are a few.

But overall I find buying a truck is the buyers responsibility and not to just take their word for anything. I prefer dealing with private owners when I look for anything unless I have a specific one of a kind vehicle in mind.

I have to do due diligence to ensure I am not getting ripped and this includes VIS check, oil analysis, dyno and having a good mechanic who I can trust go through the thing to make sure it is alright – exactly what I did with this truck. when I looked at the final two trucks, I told the owners that I wanted them for a whole day to get these things done, one said no even after I explained to him that I would pay for everything and if I don’t buy the truck, he would at least have the info on hand for the next possible buyer – obviously I did not buy that truck. The other owner said no problem and even drove the truck the 70 miles to get the work down on his dime.

The one thing I can’t stand that happens every time I just go to a dealer is they ask about financing, this happens even when I stop in to get parts and grab brochures. I have gotten to the point just to tell them that if they want me as a customer, don’t ever bring up the subject, I will.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Most buyers will not return to a used truck dealer. MOST...

Now where I agree with your post: Eating ones Young, buy a new truck take it in to a Net Work Dealer (not where purchased at) and all I gotta say, is WATCH OUT.

They are only in business to take every last dime you have.

$90.00 to $105.00 an hour. Than the job takes 45 minutes and you have to pay an additional1 one hour forty five minutes CAUSE the book says so.

Always get a price on parts first, and if you know whats wrong, CALL AND CHECK AVAILABILITY, NAME OF PERSON YOU ARE SPEAKING WITH AND PRICE. Phoenix KW tried charging (or did) charge me $200.00 more for the part. But cause I had the informaiton they BACK TRACKED, and reduced the labor TIME not hourly rate.

$800.00 bill going in $1,450.00 when done, than a three hundred fifty dollar credit after ........ Still a screwing. K Y please, not KW.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
They want to know about financing because for many thats their biggest profit center. Some will particularly prey on the less than perfect but not horrible credit risks. I was recently counciling someone trying to buy a unit from a well known dealer and they were all excited because they were "approved". Looking at the figures I told them they would be crazy to do the deal. They had them on a $1 buyout at end of term on a lease but were payin two times the asking price of the truck or more. I told them the reason it is structured as a lease is because IT IS ILLEGAL TO CHARGE THAT MUCH INTEREST ON A CONVENTIONAL LOAN !!!

When I was looking at buying I talked to someone, again at one of the biggies, and they informed me if I were going to finance through them they would not negotiate on price. WHAT?? I asked him if they did in-house financing? Well, no... Ok then, don't tell me you won't negotiate. They are getting all their money when the loan is made so SHUT UP. Unless the dealer has a recourse clause with the lender that is a bogus claim.

I got no problem with a dealer maximizing profits but there is no reason to take advantage of people becuase they are ill informed.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
nature of the beast my freind..expediting is hot and demand is high..think of it as you would freight ..little freight lots of trucks. low freight prices.. lots of freight few trucks well u know the story...they live and die buy the same rules we do...not to sound swarmy so forgive me ..but i would sell to make a profit...as i would not take cheap freight. good luck to you,and pewrsistance always overcomes resistance ...by the way most sales people have no heart and will do anything fir the sale..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some of those trucks that match the situation you describe have significant work done to them between arrival and being put on the line for sale. I know of a few instances where there have been a few thousand dollars of maint/repairs done to a unit prior to sale. That may be a portion of the $10k difference as well.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
I may be wrong but I didn't think there was a shortage of used expediter trucks for sale. Just a quick check of straight trucks for sale on this site shows 24 new listings for the month of July. What there is a shortage of is people who want those trucks and have a credit rating high enough to give them choices in financing. Thats where a dealer has alot of people by the short hair IMO. That also prevents the buyer from being able to purchase from an individual and mandates a purchase from the dealer to get that "special" financing.

The harder a dealer has to work to get you financed the easier it is for him to slam dunk you on every aspect of the sale.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Its either CASH, or Credit Rating. Nothing else makes any difference.

Reasons or Results, a good credit rating and a decent down deposite, if they wont budge off that 12% than demand to speak with the finance co. direct. If not have another source and try I say try offering a lower price.

Anyone ever done this and got what they wanted? Really speak the Truth as I have with a car and was told, we dont sell to cash buyers only people who need financing. Boy that was hard lesson to swollow, but it was a fact guy would not take my cash.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well dag nabit i will tell my story in the morning, and well, i'am provoked. Not upset, women get upset, i'm riled up. and the ML(Miller lite is flowing)
So in the morning all. dag nabit, rotten scoundrells, no good ^%$#&^^)(*&$%$$*&^*&^%*^%

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Your power with reputable dealers lies in your ability to obtain financing elsewhere. The only proper way to shop is to go to the dealer with approved financing from somebody else, know the terms of your loan and let him try to beat it. Financing should never have anything to do with the sale price.

Broom, you were probably standing on a "Buy Here, Pay Here" lot when the guy turned down your cash. Thats a whole different animal. He is the bank in that situation most of the time and they typically charge as much as 30% interest or as much as they legally can. He was, however, totally breaking the law by telling you he would not take your cash. It is also illegal to have a "cash price" and a "financed price". They do it all the time but have to be careful how they discuss it.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Then how do you explain CASH and CREDIT prices at the pump?

I totally agree with you about the cash price thingy. It tell me this guy is concentrating on catching less fortunate ppl and charging buku rates. You see that stuff a lot in Detroit.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Fuel prices are the same, cash or credit, however, if you do actually pay cash, they'll give you a discount. Just ask 'em. If you ask them why it costs more for credit card purchases, they'll tell you that is doesn't, but they will give you a cash discount.

It's illegal to charge more for credit card purchases, but it's not illegal to give a 'preferred method of payment' discount.

It's semantics, and they're very careful in how they word it but semantics or not, the end resut is they charge you more if you use a credit card. (no they don't, they just charge less if you pay with cash). See? x(