Canada Fines!

trump

Expert Expediter
I agree. when they start to see all that money. one ticket equals a lot of tolls.
I have been sent to Canada several times where my boss knew that the freight had not cleared the broker yet but he wanted me to have gotten through the traffic back up . And when I got on the Canada side they would send me to see my broker.
This has me worried about going to Canada now.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Did anyone think these new rulings would be advertised well when DHS knew by keeping it sort of hush-hush and using ignorance is no excuse they could generate hundreds of millions of dollars in fines? Think about it. Individual states do this sort of thing all the time. It's like if you don't read Land Line's monthly updates, you can be a victim anywhere you go.
-Weave-

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> I agree. when they start to see all that money. one ticket
>equals a lot of tolls.
> I have been sent to Canada several times where my boss knew
>that the freight had not cleared the broker yet but he
>wanted me to have gotten through the traffic back up . And
>when I got on the Canada side they would send me to see my
>broker.
> This has me worried about going to Canada now.

Wait a minute here!
Are you saying that your boss didn't want you to wait till your PARS was set up?
The rules are quite clear; a minimum of 3 hours after the papers are sent.
Who is going to pay the penalty if you get caught trying to beat the system?
The CBSA isn't stupid and if they see you going in early all the time they will look more closely at your operation. Is your "BOSS" the company owner or just a dispatcher trying to earn " brownie points"?
Going to Canada shouldn't be difficult but you must follow the system. It is in place to get everyone through as quickly as possible.
I can't comment on the penalties for going back into the States.

trump

Expert Expediter
This is my dispatcher doing this. There are times when there is a big backup at the border and they give me a hot load going to Windsor. This is not an everyday occurance and I do think with the fines being given out now, he will be a lot more carefull to make sure the pars has cleared. I know I will be talking with him tomorrow when I go back to work so that I have all my eggs in the right basket as far as who will pay my fine.I dont want to see my company or me get a fine.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Weave,

Please clarify - is the US sending out those fines...gulp, in US dollars?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, the fines are from the Dept. of Homeland Security, $5000 for the first offense if you attempt to bring freight into the USA without PAPS now. PARS is still not required to enter Canada, you can still use the A8A and clear freight inside at the broker. But to bring freight from Canada into the USA, you must use the PAPS system now. A carrier supplied PAPS barcode must be placed on the invoices at the shipper, and faxed to the broker. 2 hours must be allowed before attempting to cross the border to give the freight time to clear. If by chance the barcode does not scan, the DHS will call the broker to see if the paperwork was faxed to them. If they have it, they will send you inside. If not, the driver must be able to supply proof the paperwork was faxed, or face the same $5000 fine. So it is a good idea to call the broker to make sure they received your paperwork. They will copy your license and registration, and repeat offenses carry much higher fines. It sounds like a pain, but once carriers and drivers get situated with it, border crossing should be much simpler. The idea is to clear up the border congestion, and have all cross-border carriers registered into a system for better security.
-Weave-

truckerbuddy

Seasoned Expediter
all I have to say is !F#$K^ CANADA. when the big auto makers in canada start woundering were there freight is just tell them we cant find anyone wanting a 5000 dollar fine then tell them to pack up and build these so calles AMERICA cars in the USA.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
That's a poor attitude to take, Truckerbuddy. You seem to want everything to be so easy. What's life without a few risks? All they're telling us is that you hafta be right with the paperwork coming here, or you can forget your Vegas vacation. Don't need to go to Vegas anyways... not like you need that expediter class LOL :+

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Tbuddy,

Hmm, it's not Canada who's sending out the fines - it's the good Ole US of A.

Er, what are you going to do now - not pick up freight in the US?;)

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I talked with my carrier who is small, and due to the costs involved and infrequent loads out of Canada, they are not going to register for the PAPS system, and I will no longer take loads out of Canada. I will still continue to bring loads into Canada for the time being, and D-H out. Everyone please understand the PAPS requirement is a new USA law, and the Canadian rules are pretty much same old-same old. According to one person I talked with at DHS, the USA border was tightened up this way for a good reason, due to the amount of illegal things that were being found on trucks with the x-ray machines they set up at the borders a few months ago. It really is a security issue, and I'll guarantee Canada will have something similar in place soon.
-Weave-