Finding the Best BBQ in America -- the Rendevous

GenoBamBeno

Active Expediter
According to my GPS, I was standing in front of "Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous Charcoal BBQ" in downtown Memphis, Tennessee, but it was nowhere to be seen. A local businessman walked by and knowingly said, "Charlie's is "round back" down the alley." He disappeared into the noon-hour crowd before I could thank him.

I walked "round back" and looked down an inner-city alley. My heart sank a little, even though I could see the Rendevous sign. Cautiously, I ventured down to their rear-door entrance only to read the hours on the menu board, "Open 4:30." Now I was really bummed. The Rendevous is legendary; it has been named the best BBQ restaurant in the country by numerous national magazines and television shows. It has been on my "To-do list" of BBQ joints for over a year and now that I was here, I was four hours too early. Being an expediter, I had one hour. That was it.

As if on cue, the restaurant door opened and two businessmen walked out. Not only that, they held the door open for me, so I walked in only to look down a flight of stairs to the basement. Are you kidding me? It's not only down an alley, but it's in a basement as well? I thought to myself, How good can this joint be?

At that moment, the aroma of charcoal-grilled ribs surrounded me and I descended into heaven. In a surreal experience, my waiter, Geno, (my name too) walked me through the nearly-empty restaurant. On any given Saturday, they will serve over 3,600 patrons who have waited in line for two hours. He explained that while Charlie's is not officially open until dinner, they do serve lunch for the locals two days a week—and today was one of those days. (Okay then...when in Rome.)

My review? Eleven. Twelve, even. I ordered a full-slab of charcoal-grilled pork ribs that were coated (not rubbed) with their secret spices and cooked in a blast furnace to create a seasoned-crunchy crust that sealed in the succulent fall-off-the-bone meat. The first bite passed all expectations. I tried a few of their exclusive sauces, but ended up devouring the majority of the ribs dry...as God intended.

So the next time your travels take you across the Mississippi River on I-40, take a detour through downtown Memphis. If you're looking for the meaning of life, I might have just found it. It's "round back," down a dumpster-filled alley of all places.

Geno Renaker
Load One

Attachments

• RendevousBBQ-800x600.jpg
    RendevousBBQ-800x600.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 59

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being from there, I always try to make it. Their meat and cheese tray is also good, just in case you'er not full before/after the dry ribs. Corkeys comes in at the top as well.

Every time someone new goes in there I ask, "did you look up?"

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
The Rendezvous has an interesting history, Geno. Started as a ham sandwich sort of place--in the 40's I believe--to feed downtown laborers, he realized the coal chute was a perfect outlet for smoke from a pit, so started smoking meat to sell.

Some of his servers and staff have been there for thirty years or more. Straight up food, served in a straight up style, with more local flavor and history than one can ask for.

Like John Hiatt sings in "Memphis in the Meantime", about wanting to escape the doldrums of Nashville for something a little smoother...

"If we could just get off-a that beat little girl
Maybe we could find the groove
At least we can get a decent meal
Down at the Rendez-vous

'Cause one more heartfelt steel guitar chord
Girl, it's gonna do me in
I need to hear some trumpet and saxophone
You know sound as sweet as sin

And after we get good and greasy
Baby we can come back home
Put the cowhorns back on the cadillac
And change the message on the cord-a-phone

But...

Lets go to Memphis in the meantime baby
Memphis in the meantime girl."

My kid grew up hearing that song from being played by me around the house all the time, and I had the great and distinct pleasure of treating her to dinner at the Rendezvous one night.

Just another story involving the Rendezvous in someone's life.

Glad you found it and went on in.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
The Moonlite in Owensboro, KY has great BBQ Mutton and to die for Burgoo. Gates Brothers in Kansas City is usually good. Tri Tip beef in the Fresno area is tasty.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Been to both Gates and Rendezvous both are great also try Pierces at the Lightfoot VA exit on I 64 just west of Williamsburg VA

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If you come across the place called CITY BARBECUE, youll not regret it, Florence KY and many other locations, CITYBBQ.COM Another place Ive enjoyed for years is on 45 South just north of Guntown AL, Its called PIG and is nothing fancy looks wise, but the smoker is huge, well used and seasoned and the meat that comes out of it......HEAVEN.....and truck parking abounds...Ive also found a small joint in Euless TX that is in an old service station but the owners have won so many awards for BBQ they cant even display them all, 6-7 time winners of Memphis In May and the Kansas City BBQ, North Main BBQ is a famous and delightful place to eat....served just a few days a week but the Food again is well worth the drive out of route....nevermind the outside of the building, whats awaiting you inside is Great....NORTH MAIN BBQ

Home Page

City BBQ

guido4475

Not a Member
Mr.Snappy took me and Chef Dennis to a place in Louisville Ky on Dixie Highway called Marl's Feed Store. The absolute best ribs I have ever eaten.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mark's definitely belongs on the best bbq list. It's one of two places in Louisville that are do not miss places, the other being Mike Linnig's fish place about 2 miles from where you went to Mark's.

guido4475

Not a Member
Mark's definitely belongs on the best bbq list. It's one of two places in Louisville that are do not miss places, the other being Mike Linnig's fish place about 2 miles from where you went to Mark's.

I saw an ad for the fish place awile ago, and am meaning to go there. I'm a deep-fried breaded perch kinda guy...

But it is hard to say no to Marks.....

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm going to have to start eating at more of these barbeque joints instead of wasting my money on the same old fast food place. Most likely should be healthier as well.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We took our drivers to Marks Feedstore for a driver appreciation dinner during MATS. It was great. The Burgoo and the buttermilk pie were awesome.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Your drivers appreciated it very much, Boss. :D
It's funny, but I've been thinking for awhile that somebody needs to muscle Subway out of the truckstops with a decent BBQ place - we love BBQ, and don't even object to splashin out our own cash for it.
If ATeam can open a fitness place, can't somebody do it with decent food for us?!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Gene, if you do it, I'll personally nominate you to the Expediters Hall of Fame - promise. [And be a steady customer, too!]
One of the best things about the book "10,000 Places To See Before You Die" is the number of restaurants in it like the Rendevous: little, hole in the wall places you'd never notice otherwise. They don't bother with the fancy decor, or advertising, they just focus on the food, and that's what matters, IMO.
Just for that alone, the book is worth buying.

paidtourist

Rookie Expediter
I love about all BBQ, but my heart is with NC Eastern style. (Vinager and red pepper based sause) In Mebane NC, exit 153 Smithfields Chicken & BBQ is good. There is truck parking across rd at KFC.