Finding Drivers

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
Hi, Im new to this. Im a new O/O with and just learning the business. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to advertise for drivers? I am having a hard time getting a response. Thanks in advance for your help.
Trish:)

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
There are moderators that can help you post on our want ads there is a complete secion just for O/O looking for drivers and drivers looking for O/O.

You are just getting started and you are O/O who wants to hire drivers? I wish you luck, sounds dangerious to me to start in this type of business. I am new 6 months to the day, tons of past business ownership behind me and I do feel I am lacking the knowledge to even think of starting a fleet yet.

I would suggest you read past posts by raceman and others on there expierences as many have lost or come close to loosing everything. Many stories told here on what happens when a Driver gets angry with the owner. He who screws last screws best seems to be the theem. I know several drivers I would love to start a fleet with, but I have much more to learn before I will turn over the keys to a $50,000 used truck or more.

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your reply. I do have 5 years in the expedite business but it is on the other end. Customer service at one of the leading Expedite companies. My fiance' is also a o/o but he is out on the road and I am just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can on my own. Never hurts to ask others, you never know what good information you may find out. Thanks again.
Trish:)

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
A good place to start is to ask yourself, what would YOU or YOUR FIANCE' expect from a fleet owner if you were to drive for them. Then - do you offer a similar program or benefit?

Then tell that in your ad as a driver, not a salesman. Since your starting out as a small fleet you are going to want to work hand-in-hand with the person in your truck(s).

We've also considered a managed truck . . .the people we used to lease from could manage a truck for you, secure drivers, take care of maintenance and everything and then split the profits at the end of the month.

That's all on a individual, negotiated and approved partnership. But it sure takes the headache out of 3am phone calls from your driver about a headlight being out or something.

If you'd like the name of the company send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Good Luck!

The Gibster

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Oh God! I shake just reading of your thoughts. I have no advice for you other than to say read pasts POSTs. I do not want to tear down your dreams or goals. It will either be fantastic for you or you will quickly be looking for info on how to tie a noose

Raceman
OTR O/O

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not a path for the timid.
Make sure you REALLY know what you are getting into.x3

If unsure with the above, the odds might be better in Vegas
Davekc
owner
20 years

dmcoxe60

Expert Expediter
I read that you are having a hard time finding a driver. My name is
Mike Coxe and I live in NC. I have had several years expediting in a
Van. I do not mind staying out on the road and I love this business.
I have a class A with haz-mat endorsments. I take crae of someone else,s vechicle and have several letters of recomendation. My number
is 919-889-1870 CP. I am easy to work with and would be interested in talking. Thank you for your time. Michael Coxe
11604 black horse run
raleigh, nc 27613

Italiangrl

Expert Expediter
Hi Dave, appreciate your offer but since I posted that I have drivers coming out of the woodwork. But thanks for offering. I wish you luck.
Trish