Finances

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I view myself as a small business owner. Pinching pennies here & there, obtaining whatever types of discounts possible, always viewing the prices of goods & services as negotiable .... basically trying my hardest to be an all around shrewd cheapskate.

I thought it might be helpful to share some ideas on this topic.

Here's one I came across this morning that I haven't noticed. As interest rates rise, having some cash in the bank may be meaningful again. Where that cash is stored matters ...

Online-only savings accounts are banking's best-kept secret

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been using the higher interest online accounts to park some money for years. The brick and mortar bank rates are a joke. Not going to get rich off either, but feels a little better :rolleyes:

I used to hop around between the on-line ones for better rates. Guess I got tired of that. Seems after a nice intro rate, their clause would be put into action...

"Interest Rates are variable and may change at anytime without prior notice".

The CIT Bank from the artical at 1.75% is pretty nice. My account at American Expess gets 1.45% currently. Same story as other places, it used to be higher.

May be time for another hop ;)

Reactions: Mailer and Grizzly

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few years back, I put a one time portion of the emergency fund in stocks and mutual funds. As of today, the stocks tanked and the mutual funds thrived. Still, the total gain was 21%. But yeah, the market can change at any moment. That's why I only put in a portion. Lose sum, gain sum. Lol....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
A few years back, I put a one time portion of the emergency fund in stocks and mutual funds. As of today, the stocks tanked and the mutual funds thrived. Still, the total gain was 21%. But yeah, the market can change at any moment. That's why I only put in a portion. Lose sum, gain sum. Lol....
A few years ago I put all my spare money in cruises, vacations and ski trips. That's why I'm retired and doing this

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few years ago I put all my spare money in cruises, vacations and ski trips. That's why I'm retired and doing this

Awesum you ! Lol....

I'm on my second retirement and I'm still doing this. Bummer. Lol...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What happened to all the BitCoin talk?

For me, I cash out of Bitcoin to focus on my debt free journey.
T- minus 3 Months and counting

Yikes, Just checked the price of Bitcoin.

Glad I got out when I did

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
Lol I have 31c in bitcoin, there are several thousand better coins out there..im still up 75% after the correction

Everybody else, don't do it. Go to Vegas instead

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The CIT Bank from the artical at 1.75% is pretty nice. My account at American Expess gets 1.45% currently.

Looks like I won't be hopping over to to CITBank just yet.
Was going to open a account today. But they want to pull my credit report. Probably standard, but I don't want a unnecessary ding on my report at this time.
Especially, after seeing my American Express account raised theirs to 1.55%.
For the now 0.20% rate increase, I'll hold off for a few months ;)

Reactions: ntimevan