Final tax day

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi All,

Your Tax Return must be filed and postmarked by Midnight tonight April 15, 2014,

If there was no way that you will be able to complete your tax returns ask your CPA, EA, or Tax Preparer for him/her to file an Extension, this extension is Free, it should be completed by your preparer at No-charge. But due to the situations they will charge you just to make the $$ for the 15 minutes that it would take them to do the extension. Most of you have computers, and internet access.

Go online to www.irs.gov, Extensions, and click o form 4868, you can fill it out online, Print it, and mail it to wherever it shows in the instructions, You can also do the same with your home state. The normal Federal extension is extended until October 15, 2014, 6 months automatic Extension but it must be filed to receive it

REMEMBER THEY MUST BE POSTMARKED BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, I CANNOT TELL YOU WHAT TRUCK STOP HAVE POST OFFICES IN THEM, BUT I DEFINTELY KNOW THAT IOWA-80 T/A HAS ONE. THAT IS UNLESS THEY STOPPED SINCE I BEEN ON THE ROAD.

MOST POST OFFICES ARE ONLY OPEN TIL 5 PM. YOU CAN GO TO USPS.COM AND TYPE IN EXTENDED HOUR. TO CHECK WHERE YOU ARE MOSTLY ALL THAT WILL BE OPEN, WILL BE MAIN OFFICE ONLY. WHICH ARE IN THE HEART OF MOST CITIES(DOWNTOWN) SO BE SAFE AND DROP THEM IN A MAILBOX THAT THE LAST PICKU IS BETWEEN 4:00 AND 5 PM.

Good luck and have a good year.
[h=1]
N7vbREQADs=
[/h][h=1]315 E. King St.[/h][h=1]Kings Mountain, NC 28086[/h][h=1]Local # 704-739-4039 Toll Free# 877-857-1040[/h][h=1]E-Mail: [email protected])[/h][h=1]Web: Kings Mountain, NC Accounting Firm | Home Page | Frank's Tax & Business Services[/h][h=1] [/h][h=1]IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless expressly stated otherwise inthis
transmission, any tax advice contained herein, forwarded with or attached to
this message was not and is not intended to be used, nor may it be relied
upon or used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of (1) the avoidance of any
tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or
local tax law provisions, or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any tax transaction or tax-related matters that may be
addressed herein.

[/h]

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A tax preparer told a relative to file an extension. No need to send money, although it's obvious that she'll owe. Says there will be NO PENALTY for not sending the money.

I cannot believe this would change.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Zorry,

You do not have to send any money to file an extension but the extension only saves you the late filing fee of between 22 and 25%. As far as any taxes that are owed, Penalty and interest will apply for all balances due payable starting April 16th. You do not save these fees by filing the extension.
you would owe the taxes no matter when you filed.

Frank

zorry

Veteran Expediter
So, I owe $1200. I send $1200 with the extension and I avoid the late filing penalty and penalty and interest on the $1200.

The relative told me no penalty or interest on the $1200.

BigRedDog431

Rookie Expediter
If you know what you owe, you send what you owe, why are you filing for an extension. Just file your taxes with the payment. That way no penalties or interest as long as you file by midnight tonight.

If you have some issue that requires you to request the extension, then by all means do so but pay the tax even if whatever you need the extension for will change the amount due. If the $1200 covers it you're golden. If you end up owing more once you file during the extension then you are only liable for interest on the amount over the $1200 you already submitted.

If after filing during your extension you end up owing less than the $1200 previously submitted then the IRS will process a refund for the difference. No penalty, no interest. And of course, no interest to you on the overage paid.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
So I don't look totally inept, my taxes were done/filed the first week of March.

My relative, in her 70's, will owe, but filed an extension. I thought she should have come up with an educated guess, through her preparer or from past experience. And send an amount in.
I stay out of her affairs. I was surprised when she said no future penalty on amount owed. ( Bad advice or misunderstanding.)

Then the OP talked of extensions, and didn't mention this issue, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Zorry,

If you paid the $1200.00 with the extension and after you finish filling out the tax forms and do not owe any more taxes then thee Is no additional penalty and interest.

But if you do there is definitely penalty and interest added.

Frank