Fedex Mobile Safety

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
A month ago I ran into Terry O Connor who drives the FedEx Mobile Safety unit. Terry's job is to inspect units and give up to date information on new DOT regulations, to help owner operators and drivers stay up to date on things.

Some people may not like it as they may feel that big brother is watching over them. I don't feel that is the case. Terry is twice retired, once from the US Coast Guard and once from being part of a team operation with his wife in a B unit with FedEx Custom Critcal.

I enjoy talking to Terry as he is a book of knowledge on DOT regulations. If you listen to him you will learn something. I sat and talked with Terry after I did the Pre Trip Challenge at the 2015 Expedite Expo. Last year was the first year and Travel Centers of America sponsored it. Travel Centers of America is doing it again at the 2016 Expedite Expo in Lexington, Ky on July 15th and 16th.

By talking to Terry I found out that laying your load locks on the floor on the sides of the box is a DOT violation. It's classified as unsecured freight and you can be hit with two points on your CSA score. I now always lock my load locks in place because of the information that was shared with me by Terry. At that time I wasn't even a contractor at FedEx Custom Critcal.

So when I ran into Terry a month ago Terry asked to do a DOT inspection on my truck which I was okay with. It was wasn't to pick at me or the truck. It was to help with a fresh set of eyes on the truck. We did the inspection and Terry found a marker light out and a muffler strap broke. I thanked him as I could have gotten wrote up by DOT if we hadn't caught it. I replaced the bulb and told my mechanic about the strap. He found that the strap was not only bad, it put a hole in the muffler and we replaced it.

Next time you see Terry out on the road, don't think that Terry is out to pick at your truck. He is only trying to help you. Plus you may get a free meal and a new FedEx Custom Critcal hat. Be safe out on the Roads.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is always nice to spend time visiting with Terry. I ran into his van, figuratively, about 3 times as I recall.

Reactions: Bruno and Turtle

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Yes, I have known Terry since I started at Roberts Express in 1995. He always has a positive outlook on life is always trying to help others.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When we first started looking at Expediting in 2004 Terry O'Connell was the speaker at the workshop we attended in Detroit, he was very informative and I took a lot of notes. Terry is still teaching us today about expediting and like Bruno says he knows DOT rules inside and out. The last thing we want to do is role through a scale and be put out of service or have to have someone come to the scale and repair our truck, as that price will be astronomical. What I appreciate about Terry is that he not only tells you the rules he also tells you where to find the rule to verify it. He is an asset not only to FedEx Custom Critical he is an asset to any driver that asks a question.

Once again at the Expedite Expo there will be a Pre Trip Challenge that Terry will be helping with. This is a great way to learn if you are possibly doing something that could get you a violation as Bruno did but to see if you are looking at all the right things. Homer Hogg will also be helping with this and is scheduled on Saturday to show everyone how to do a Pre Trip and to show everyone where the defect are on the truck. Hope to see all of you there.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Linda that is great news. Terry is like a book of vast knowledge and willing to help any Expedite driver, no matter what carrier they are leased on with. I'm glad that Terry will be helping out again with this years Pre-trip Challenge that is sponsored by Travel Centers of America.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does he still carry a dog whistle?

When I got my I-phone it had a dog barking ringtone.
The plan was if we saw Terry I would put phone in driver's door pouch. I would get Terry near the door and my wife would call.
I thought Terry would go nuts.
Alas, I could never find him until after FedEx got so desperate that they allowed dogs into WG.

Reactions: xiggi

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Who needs a dog whistle? Just look for nose prints on the windows.