Fedex Flagship from MATS finally hits the road

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
a N T 1.jpga n t 111a.jpga nt 1a.jpg

Linda and I went to Fort Wayne on Tuesday the 24th to pick up our new ride.
It took several weeks longer than expected.
Man it was tough cleaning all the nose and finger prints off everything and drool was EVERYWHERE (thank God the bed was up )from all of the visitors to the Fedex booth that went through this truck, what a job cleaning up.
Anyway, thats done and we have just completed our first run. We are at the
TA in New Haven CT.

On the outside the new shape of the Cascadia is obvious vs the Columbia.
The cab is wider and taller.
This truck front suspension is springs vs air making a firmer truer ride down the road.

The enclosed fuel tanks make a nice sleek appearance and should help MPG.
We will be using DEF.

There is one large storage box on the driver side, thats it.

On the passenger side hangs the Onan Genset.

Drop axel w duals. This truck needs the tag down ALL THE TIME as it is heavy.

Cool feature on the drives, automatic chains.

The box is a 22' Supreme w/ garage doors. Inside are five rows of E-Track. At the
tail the metal that covers the lift gate has been coated with a Tough Coat, like a bed liner for a pick up truck.

Then there is the landing gear and the lift gate is a Leyman.

The Cascadia vs the 2007 Columbia SST we drove the last 4+ years is powered by a DD13 vs MBE 4000, the DD13 seems quieter, smoother and has more torque.
Coupled with the new deluxe 10 spd auto it's acceleration is much smoother.
No data on MPG as of yet.
Inside the cab the sound level from outside has been reduced.
The cab is wider on the Cascadia. We have wider seats and about 5" more
between them. Oh, Linda wants me to mention that both of our seats are heated.

There are a lot of gauges and switches on our dash. Too many gauges and the
switches aren't laid out very well, IMHO.
Of particular concern is the hazard switch. It is located on the dash to the right
of the steering column neatly tucked out of sight hidden by the steering wheel.
But, once you get the lay of the land the roominess of the cab with a cockpit
dash that surrounds the driver is very functional.
Cruise control, jake and data info center all have controls on the steering wheel.

A cool feature is the data screen on the dash above the speedo and tach. It informs you what message has just come across the clink. Not just announce it but actually states the header to the message, "Run Opportunity" or " Fleet Message".

Linda wanted me to mention the heated seats.

Stepping into the condo I notice its roomier.
The extra width and the tall ceiling make a huge difference.

I am 6'4" and I could hit my head on the rooftop AC fixture in the Columbia.
I have included a picture of me with my arm stretched upward just being able to reach the AC unit in the Cascadia.
Aprox. 18" higher.

All lighting is by LCD. Very cool.
On the Columbia we actually burnt a sheet from it being against the spotlights when the bed was put up. Very hot.

Cupboard space is greater inside the Cascadia condo. The upper shelves are a stretch for those vertically challenged. We will have to get Linda a step or two for her to reach some spots.
Needless to say, all my things are way up thare.

We have a 20 gallon water tank vs a 10 gallon and now have hot water as well.

There are five locations around the cab where you can plug a three prong chord into, making it very convenient to power-up. Be it in the condo or sitting in the swivel captains seats up front ( did I mention they were heated ).

There is a hard wood (composite) floor vs a carpeted floor.

No ceiling fan. Instead the microwave has an exhaust fan. Does the same job, it doesnt have to close in the rain but it is noisier.

We have a frig that is twice the size of our old one. Nice.

The condo is quieter and less breezy.

A special Thank You goes out to Cedar Hill Leasing and Pat Hopkins for purchasing this neat truck and having Linda and me drive. Thanx Pat!!!

So far a good upgrade. Oh Linda wanted..................................................

n t16.jpgn t12.jpgn t11.jpgn t10.jpgn t9.jpgn t8.jpgn t7.jpgn t6.jpgn t5.jpgn t4.jpgn t3.jpgn t2.jpg561089_291982164204340_100001776758435_678245_1953936656_n.jpg555506_291981964204360_100001776758435_678243_95154345_n.jpg550875_291982334204323_100001776758435_678246_1024945687_n.jpg536677_291982667537623_100001776758435_678247_128948067_n.jpg

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Enjoy the ride! Jones did an especially clever job of hiding the reefer up top, I think. You did not mention about the reefer noise but I expect that the new model is quieter than the old, correct?

Sleeper size?

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
All I can say is WOW, I want one....I just dont want to pay the bill...Enjoy and well see ya out there

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am sure you guys will enjoy the ride, the quietness, and the roominess of not only the cab but the sleeper. The truck and sleeper combination is really amazing.

We put our pusher axle down at about 2000-lbs of freight which does not happen often. We are a dry box and that make a big difference in weight distribution. We are very heavy on the front end and everything is loaded as far to the back as possible.

We are still seeing over 500 miles to a gallon of DEF and do not have to fill that tank very often. The truck has very little idle time on the motor and we have never done a parked regen which is nice. We have found the DEF pumps are very easy to find and have never bought one of those expensive jugs.

I have a two step ladder and still have to have Bob get some things for me. One thing I found very useful a friend suggested was to use a tray in the side cabinets. I pull the tray forward and all of my stuff comes with it. I also use a lot of baskets and plastic boxes in the back cabinets to better use the space.

The DD13 is quiet and surprises us with how much power we have climbing hills and the exhaust break is just as amazing going down the hills.

Have fun with the truck after a year of driving ours we are still in awe!

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Enjoy the ride! Jones did an especially clever job of hiding the reefer up top, I think. You did not mention about the reefer noise but I expect that the new model is quieter than the old, correct?

Sleeper size?
Hi Phil, the Thermo King is new to us as we had Carrier before. It is a T1000.
According to Thermo King a newer model reefer which has less moving parts so maintenance and noise is less.
The first load wasnt a reefer so we have only experienced the reefer as we acquaint ourselves with it. With the added insulation Bolt put in plus the T1000 technology it is much quieter in the condo.
The side panels of the condo next to the reefer are removable to allow access to it. That is kinda slick.

The condo size is: aprox 91" from the privacy curtain between the cab and condo to the rear wall with the bed down. 91" from floor to ceiling except for the notch where the reefer sits, it comes out about 18" but is angled up from the cupboards about 35 degrees.
There is aprox. 50" between the sink top ( passenger side ) and the frig door ( driver side ) and 42" from the bed to the curtain.

Last edited:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi Linda, thanx for the info. My Linda has been buying plastic boxes and bins ever since we
learned we were getting a new ride. So she has, like you, put many of her items inside a clear sided plastic container for ease of getting at things.
We never put the bed up so we use that space below for storage as well. Our printer, my guitar
and the biz files are kept there.
I will enjoy the front swivel seats with my guitar playing. It will be easier on the back instead of being on the bed propped up with pillows.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pride and Polish.
Is the STD. Set. Brite, Shinny, Polished, Neet.

Nice Ride!

Attachments

• tn1.jpg
    tn1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I saw it at Frt Wayne before the show, at Carrier ! Maybe for the Onan install ? Have you been using the cameras ? I bought the camera system Dennis installs and love it .

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hi zorry, it must have been for the APU. The Thermo King shop is right next door to
Stoops. That made orientation on the unit easy.
There isnt a camera system on this truck.
We did have a camera system from Dennis on the Columbia. It broke down with-in the
first year. We had it repaired twice after that. The last two years we just ran without one.
We are debating whether or not to install a camera. They are very helpful, when working.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The looks on your faces in photos 5 & 6 says it all, lol. And as the billboards say: "Enjoy it. You earned it." Thanks for sharing the photos. :)

jbrand

Active Expediter
What is the max payload capacity for that truck?

Also is that bar that goes across the back below the lift gate for when you back up to docks that lock you to the dock to you can't pull away?

Last edited:

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
max payload is aprox. 21k.
however we limit it at 15k

the rear bar is part of the lift gate.
if it is intended to protect the gate from
locking hooks at a dock, its a waste.
i request they not use the hooks.
if they insisted on using them (never has happened),
i would not dock.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
max payload is aprox. 21k.
however we limit it at 15k

the rear bar is part of the lift gate.
if it is intended to protect the gate from
locking hooks at a dock, its a waste.
i request they not use the hooks.
if they insisted on using them (never has happened),
i would not dock.

I have a couple of questions about the numbers you listed.

By "max payload" are you talking just the freight that you can carry? If that is the case, Did Pat spec that truck with a 14,000 lb steer axle?

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a couple of questions about the numbers you listed.

By "max payload" are you talking just the freight that you can carry? If that is the case, Did Pat spec that truck with a 14,000 lb steer axle?

The truck has a 12k front end.
two dual rear end @ 20k each.

As for who spec what. I am not the one to ask.

the truck scales 31k. it could carry 21k.
BUT, as I said, we limit it to 15k.

It is a front heavy truck needing the tag down all the time.

I wasnt involved in or consulted on ( not that I could offer anything )
the build of the truck, so as to why or why not, to quote Mr D
" it aint me babe, a no no no, it aint me youre looking for".

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Limiting it to 15k is a smart move. Unless that lift axle is spread at least 8ft from the drive, thats a 46k truck according to the bridge law...leaving exactly 15k

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The bridge law tables are in the front of my road atlas. But, for short, axles with standard spacing such as a set of tandems on a t/t are limited to 34k combined weight simply because of the distance from the centerline of one axle to the centerline of the other is less than 8 ft.

Given enough distance between the axles (10ft or more), you can carry the full 20k on each axle as long as you dont exceed any gross weight limits. Sooo....you could legally carry 20k on your steer axle if you had the suspension, axle and tires to support it. But those 2 rear axles are limited to 34k or 17k per axle.

To calculate the bridge formula, you have to consider 3 measurements....as best as I can remember.
1. Distance between any two axles.
(This one can be tricky. You need the spacing of the rear axles, the spacing from the steer axle to the next closest axle, and if your a t/t, you'll have the distance from the rear most tandem to the first trailer axle also).

2. Distance between the axles farthest apart.
( steer axle to the axle closest to the rear of the truck, "usually" will be the drive on a straight truck, but not always. On a t/t, it would be steer axle to rear trailer axle.)

3. The gross weight determined by the number of axles.

Each of those measurements will correspond with a weight limit in the bridge formula tables. You can be ticketed for being over weight in any of the 3.

These Michigan t/t's you see with umpteen axles under 'em? Somebody wore out a calculator and a tape measure :D

Last edited: