Fedex CC or Con-Way Now

G

I'm wanting to drive for someone who has a truck on with either FedexCC or Con-Way Now. Was wondering if anyone could tell me which one they would go with. I'm trying to support my family off of this/:)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Grizz,

In all honesty. As much as I hate to sound negitive. It really doesn't matter which carrier you pick. As a driver you will barely make enough to keep your head above water. Let alone make enough to sustain a family.

The only way you will ever make enough money in this business to sustain a family is to take the plunge and become an owner.

I am speaking with 7 years experience as a driver. Sometimes you do really well. other times you will be searching your truck for loose change just to buy something to eat. And if you plan on running single it will be doubley difficult.

If you are like me and your past life and credit keeps you from buying a truck of your own then I would suggest truck driving school and drive for a major carrier (Big truck)

I truly don't want to "Pee on your Post Toasties" Its just the truth. I can't in good conscience give you a rosy picture of being a driver for anyone with a wife and kids sitting at home and counting on you.

If you are truly set on being an expediter (and there is nothing wrong with it) And you can't afford/have credit for your own truck I would suggest looking into Ed Houseworths program.

I truly hope this helps you and I in no way mean to be mean or hurt you or anyone on this board by this statement.

Bill

newthead

Expert Expediter
What about someone like me who is single-no kids-no ex? I would like to drive someone's cargo van or straight truck solo for a couple years until I have enough $ to explore other options. I am willing to be out4-6 weeks at a time (yes I do live in the expedite-desert NW)

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Well, judge for yourself. I drive a D unit for Fedex. My codriver and I split 60% and we buy fuel.

Last few years I grossed $17,000.00 Out of that comes fuel and average $200.00 a week in road expenses. I average 3 weeks out and 5 days home.

I live in Indiana so it is easier for me to get home. I would think hometime would be a major problem. Amd I imagine lots of owners wouldnt want you to take their trucks clear to Washington (Too far out of the loop)

let me know what you think

Bill

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
We have been with both,FedEx cc and Con-Way Now. You could say Fed Ex Now or Con-Way cc. It is six of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. When they have work you are busy when they don't you sit. We run as a team and we would still be with FedEx if they had not let us sit too many times and had more team loads. Right now we are in the same situation. Sitting too long. Both of these companys are recruiting and don't have enough loads to keep their existing trucks busy on any given week. We have had our best week with Con-Way Now. We have also had our worst (150 dollars).We have ,in all fairness, done over 3000 in one week. You can repeat this someday because I did not orginate it. I met a man one day in Alabama and his truck was on the back of a wrecker being pulled into the customer to be unloaded.He had just spent all that the load payed to have his truck towed to the consignee. He said "when you buy your truck and stop driving for the other man you will still be a poor ##### truck driver.You just will not have anyone to blame for it except yourself" Don't buy a truck. Don't Expedite and if you still won't heed my advice call me and I will sell you either one of my trucks. They are 2001 models and I wish I could get somebody to take them for the payments. If you want to go with either of these companies go with the one I'm not with please.

G

Hi Bill,
I have been in this business for awhile. Lately i have been running for Tri-State. Made good money there but, seem like you have to chase frieght and a awfull lot of dead heading> I was wanting to go back to Fedex or Con-way. From word or mouth i'm hereing Con-Way is the way to go but,i wanted a few more opinions before i jump that way. I have also heared that Fedex is moveing pretty good now too. I like Tri-State but they worked your butt off to make the money. I still believe there is good money to be made out there in this business. Alot of it just luck of the draw i guess. I live in Indiana also so your right there it is easy to get home. I'm not looking to get rich off this,just trying to make a honiest liveing to support my family thats all. Wife knows i love this work and she dosent mind me doing it. I just wanted some advice on which way i should go.

Thanks Grizz

willy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
hey wild bill did you forget to put a numeral 1 in front of that $17,000...that works out to about $472 a week if my math is right..im not trying to be a smart ##### or anything but ...man thats a lot of hrs and work for that amount.