FED EX CC or Conway-Now

radar

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We are looking at getting into the business. I know that no business is good business. But we are looking for some ideas on what the best company to drive under. WE would like to travel and see most of the states if possible and not just one section. Will we go bankrupt or can we make our truck payments? What are the recomendations on a truck for couples we want as much space as possible.It looks like Alumibunk but i see some bad remarks on hear about them.
Thanks

elmerswabit

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The choice is your's for all companys are about the same.It's the individual owner that makes it all work and becomes a success/failure.My choice is with FEDEX CC however,that probably want be right for everyone.As for truck I go with a D unit,its more plyable in the market place and profittable;you can move in the inter-city with greater ease and be cost effective in operations/maintenance.Always remember---teams are an expediters strongest asset,you can't compete as a sole.Team,team,team=money.As with any bussiness your motivation and commitments are your keys to profits,plus understanding the market place of choice.

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't be afraid of Alumi-Bunk. Just make sure to custom order what YOU want and visit the shop before and during construction. The guys and gals up in Dundalk are an excellent bunch.

mustang

Expert Expediter
hi radar...alumibunk is ok. just keep your expenses down as much as possible, dont buy everything they try to sell you. if you are going to run team, you will do much better financially, expecially running husband and wife. i personally think fedex is better for a team. they seem to try very hard to keep their teams busy, because they are most valuable. you may want to check their white glove division, it pays better.
regardless of where you end up, try to keep your expenses down. you wont get rich in expediting, but you should be fine. good luck

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I agree, this business is what you make of it. Fedex is a good place to start out and learn the ropes of the business.

No matter which type of truck you buy their is good and bad. Look them all over and pick the one you think you can live in best. (Remember you will be spending a lot of time in it.) Get something affordable, You don't need all the bells and whistles at once. (One tip: Get a refridgerator and one with lots of space for groceries. It is a lot cheaper to eat in your truck than eating at truckstops.)