Fed adding B units...

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Just like the title says, FedEx is adding B units. They have 25 slots available. Problem is I can't seem to find one with a decent sleeper worth a ****. I live out west.... So price has to be effective. I found a decent one in NY....

But by the time I drive it back... I might as well just invested in something new. Anyone have any advice as to which one is better? I'v spent day & night researching different van's/ sprinters.

On another note.... I found 2 car sales men that would love to drive OTR..... Maybe I should purchase one & stick them in it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you buy one out East you drive to Ohio, go through Orientation, get decals, etc and drive west loaded.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Except I don't need to go to orientation..... Already got cleared on that. FedEx doesn't give base pates on B units. So I would have to go back to my home state, get it registered.... FedEx sends me permits.... & then go down to Cali for c-link installation.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Any idea on what to even get??? My mind has been going crazy looking at everything.... I do like the nissan's

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Starting out my guess would be basic chevy .keep costs low. By replacement time you'll know what you can afford.

I'm not a vanner, so I'll step back and let the experts speak.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think I would want to be a vanner. MAYBE a "B" TVAL, but that is a stretch. Vans are too iffy for me.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Tell me more.... I was looking into the BR units. You run it as a solo? Or team? Where are u based out of? What's your average per mile?

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I'm a solo. No way would I team in this van. There really isn't enough room for 2 people. I currently live in oklahoma but am relocating to syracuse,ny. The br fleet is still on percentage pay. My average pay for reefer loads is in the 1.50 to 2.00 dollar loaded mile range. I still get flat rate offers all the time which are .85 plus fuel.

chuckon2

Seasoned Expediter
Any idea on what to even get??? My mind has been going crazy looking at everything.... I do like the nissan's

The only thing I frown on with the nissans is the fuel mileage. Just last week I bought a 13 Sprinter Van new and I love it especially mpg. No sleeper yet but its a work in progress.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
You don't need a sleeper. I've been using a folding cot for years. Its long enough to fit across in the front part of the cargo area. When I'm not loaded I use it lengthwise. I drive a Ford Econoline van.I don't have a front cargo barrier so even if I have so much freight I can't use the cot I can use the foam to sleep across the front seats. When Its not being used it folds in half and stores on the side. You don't need a sleeper, period. I'd never buy a Sprinter either. Diesel is so high, what's the advantage? I bought my cot at a furniture store. Get a sleeping bag rated to 0 or more deg F. You'll never be cold. I also carry a Hondo 2000 watt generator and keep a heater, and good air compressor in the van that will rescue you if you get a tire leak. It saves time and fills tires in no time. You can even rescue other drivers and make a few bucks.

Last edited:

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Get a new Ford E350 extended 1 ton van with the 5.4L gasoline motor. They last 500-600K miles with no major problems. These engines love hwy miles, and that's why they last for our business. Not just me talking, ask any Ford owner. Will Nissan's last that long? I doubt it...

Deville

Not a Member
Get a new Ford E350 extended 1 ton van with the 5.4L gasoline motor. They last 500-600K miles with no major problems. These engines love hwy miles, and that's why they last for our business. Not just me talking, ask any Ford owner. Will Nissan's last that long? I doubt it...

If anyone want's one new they better act soon. I love my Ford V-8's, they run forever & can take a lot of abuse. You will go through 2 or 3 trannys before the motor blows, or the body will rot away before the engine blows.