Factory sprinter floor

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can see the soft double board that came with the sprinter won't hold up very long...with weight savings in mind what should I cover it with? I'd also rather not pull it up, it's riveted in...

Cheap wood flooring, or roll flooring? Anything new out there you've tried? I am aware of all the threads about flooring, just want to make what's there last

Edit: some kind of laquer, or would it tear up under heavy metal skids anyway? Diamond plate? Just rip it out and put down plywood like everybody else?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I didn't rip it out (it's helps insulate for thermal and sound). I just screwed down plywood. Then covered the plywood with a couple of coats of Minwax Polycrylic. Every couple of years I've cleaned it with a scrub brush and put down a couple of fresh coats of the Polycrylic. I've had the rear edge get torn up a couple of times when forklift operators have managed to fork the 1/2" plywood, but repaired those missing chunks with Bondo, and it's help up better than I expected. And a few lengthy gouges in the plywood caused by nails or bolts when pulling out a pallet, I generally just fill those in with the Polycrylic.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe just the one shipper in my case with the 1500 lb steel baskets. Gonna try sealing the floor to make it slightly harder / slippery, I'll post back later with my thoughts. I know the floor absorbs water, there's about 3 roof leaks going on I just noticed...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Can I polycrylic the stock floor, or too soft?
You can. As others have noted, the stock floor is durable. It is, after all, designed for freight. I went with the plywood floor because if the floor gets too torn up and needs to be replaced, it's easier to replace a plywood sheet than it is a factory floor.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
looks like the cheap board they used to make speakers out of in the 70s
I agree, it looks very fragile. It looks like a gritty particle board, but it is plywood board with a textured fiberglass coating. The coating on the factory floor of the later model NCV3 is a polyurethane-fiberglass mixture, which resists water absorption a little better than the fiberglass, isn't quite as slippery when wet. But they'll both stain easily. But it's a very durable plywood flooring. You can remove that metal end piece and see it.

Reactions: NorthernBill

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well it looks bad when scratched :) also the skids don't move when driving which is good, but cranking the second one back with straps is bad...
No speakers in the 70's were made from Baltic birch very expensive 18 ply
Notice I said cheap :D you likely wouldn't have tolerated them...or I have my decades mixed up and it was the 80s I'm thinking of...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Frankly, you're better off laying down another sheet of plywood and securing it with screws, and then using pieces of carpet remnants to sit under the tubs for sliding. Aluminum sheeting will dent, and with the metal tubs being made from a harder metal than the aluminum, will also gouge them when run over bumpy roads.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, wasn't sure...wood seems like the easiest, but that's what's there, no more durable than the factory floor? I'm looking at epoxies right now..
Aluminum sheeting will dent, and with the metal tubs being made from a harder metal than the aluminum, will also gouge them when run over bumpy roads.
(10000 tubes of JB weld :D?)

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lay down hard maple planks after all you in Canada wood is cheaper there or use ironwood planks
I'll test them at the store. Stabbing them with a knife and pushing as hard as I can to see if they scratch...think I'll get kicked out?

I've always used plywood but this one place gives me steel tubs that seem to catch, regular customer

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe 2 rows of e track and that hard maple or some such just below the height of the e track...would allow me to push the skids, anchor them, and keep the bins from scratching the floor? Any better ideas please post, financially it's going to wait a month, I did a happy dance when my credit card allowed a dollar to go thru for parking to let me out of the airport...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Generally speaking, you'd want the E-track to sit slightly lower than the floor. That's what happens when you screw E-track to the factory floor and then lay 1/2 inch plywood down between and/or around it. The plywood sits 1/4 inch above the floor. That will prevent a nail from getting caught in the E-track and having the skid ripped apart when pulling it to the rear.

If you want a floor that is fully protected from the bins, your only option will be to use a material that is harder than the bins, which means checkered (really?) plate steel. It's expensive and heavy and overkill unless you primarily haul bins.

4x4 pieces of carpet protects the floor and allows for much easier sliding. That and another layer of plywood on top of the factory does is cheap, easy to maintain, and replace. KISS

The is also truck bed lining, like Rhino Lining, but that can also be gouged.