Extremely Agressive Defensive Driving

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
There is a time to say, "It takes all kinds," and a time to to say, "We don't need any of this." This is the latter. This guy lives in PA, so you might be sharing the road with him. (All signs of near-illiteracy are in the originals.)

I invented (well probably reinvented) my own driving style. I practice EAD Driving. Extremely Aggressive Defensive Driving. saved my butt far more than once. I am an extremely aggressive driver are
RETAINING my safety zones buffers and "outs" I try to always have 2 outs. if an our is removed I aggressively take action to re-acquire that out or another out.

Well here is an example.

Coming home from work on the expressway (had to pass through philly don't remember why) anyway I see a car taking the onramp ahead of me. after a second I really this could be an intercept. I check my left lane. car overtaking me on the left also a potential intercept. this means when I GET to that on ramp there is a high degree of probability that my "go right" out will be removed by the car taking the on ramp and at the same time my "go left" out will be taken by the car overtaking me on the left.

At this point I need to either change lanes to interrupt one of them (not needed and adds risk) Accelerate to "beat" one of both of them to the interception point (3cyl 1.0 geo metro NOT likely and a waste of fuel and either of them could also elect to accelerate and now I have less time to react. Decelerate and let them beat me to the interception point and retain both outs and a third (deeper deceleration)

I elect the third option and hit the brakes pretty hard (around 3-5 seconds to interception) Brother goes what the hell you slowing down for. I am about to explain why when the car on the onramp SWERVES hard into my lane of travel.

I bank left hard and clean into position behind the left lane overtaker who is not in front of me and slam the brakes hard in case he also slams the brakes. brother freaks I straighten out (half on the shoulder now in case I can not
decelerate faster than the overtaker if he decides to brake) so I can ditch into the median grass strip if I have too. at this point we see the triplets of deer IN the onramp lane. when the onramper finished the curve his light "lit up" the deer less than 100ft in front of him
so he had to evade INTO my lane of travel.

Had I not aggressively braked in advance to retain my outs this would have been VERY messy. it would have been a geo sandwich between those 2 cars because I would have been precisely where he swerved into. I stabilize and resume position in the right lane and tell my brother. Thats why. hehe. True story. Got it on video somewhere (dash cam) should have uploaded it to youtube but the video at night was lackluster at best so I never bothered.

EAD driving results in this. I stay safe by MAKING myself take a safer posture aggressively. when you drive a geo metro or ride a motorcycle its think this way or your not going to live long :) hehe

Chris

I have discovered an interesting phenomenon. when someone actively tries to "stop" me from doing something on the road.

YES it happens I have recorded it. people intentionally "speeding up" when you signal intention to change lane SPECIFICALLY to prevent you from coming over.

I just "move over anyway" even if that means right INTO THEM.

its amazing. in over a million (literally) miles of driving I have never ever
once had someone fail to "YIELD" to me. its that or we collide. simply choice. Easy solution. if your behind me you
yield. I have run a few guys into the shoulder lane or median grass because they though I was joking or not serious. they learn quickly :)

I am not being a D*&K here. I am talking about a legit lane change or legit
merge and people ACTIVELY taking aggressive action to "STOP" me from merging or changing lanes.

I have no idea why they do it. I have never stopped to "ask one" My pop does it too sometimes and I DID ask him. he has no idea. was not even aware he was doing it.

I guess with some its just a subconscious territorial aggression thing. or when your coming up to slower traffic. I see it coming I signal wait for a clear slot in the next lane and begin to move over just to have the guy 50 ft behind me FLOOR IT and try to muscle in first to prevent me coming over so "he can pass first" ????? why? I have no idea I just keep going and they "get the picture" pretty fast. I am not stopping. 100% of the time they yield. no one wants the accident damage to car delay etc..so they yield.

Sometimes you just HAVE to be aggressive or they will NOT let you in.
and yes when I merge I merge at PREVAILING traffic velocities. I am not stupid or suicidal :) Especially driving what I drive.

Chris