Extra Money Expediting

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Hello,

A quick question , which I am sure will get ridiculed.

First off, I plan on doing this without quitting my present job , which is straight days.
I just miss the road after being on it and expediting for a local mom and pop company, there were just no benefits. Is the reason I left but you could not have asked for a better boss.

I was thinking of buying a used van and getting my own authority. I know a few local mom and pop expediters who have to refuse runs at some point because they have no available vans or B trucks.

I live close to a major airport and i know for a fact there is quite a few expediting runs that leave the area.

I am just wondering If I could get enough weekend and nightly runs to make it feasable .

Thank You

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There's no way to know for sure without doing it, but my best guess is that it would not be feasible. You'd be limited to weekend runs, basically, of which there aren't enough to count on one every (or even most) weekends. Also, you'd be returning home on Sunday pretty tired, with none of your usual weekend things done - how long would you want to keep that up?

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Hi,

Thank you for the replies. However, I do not see how i would be limited to weekend runs, plenty of local runs going on after 2pm in the area through the weekdays.

Expediting does not just mean taking the long runs but also the inner city runs, plenty of freight that needs to get to there designated location, Automotive plants, Boieng , food industries, I saw a lot of vans doing this from the view of my of my B truck.

I just would like to make enough to cover the expenses and set a few aside for a replacement van.

Thanks again for your responses

Turtle : The question was is it feasable to do this part time as a hobby.

Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeez, Turtle, you must be really bored, to find fault with a question that wasn't asked, lol - don't you have anything to wax, or what? :p
PS Newbies & wannabes take note: do you think you're ready for this much excitement, on most Saturday nights? :eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Turtle : The question was is it feasable to do this part time as a hobby.

Thanks[/quote]
Carpunky: if you think you know of plenty of opportunities for 'inner city' freight, than why ask? Just do it, right?
The folks you're asking, here, don't do much of that - expediting, to us, IS over the road, and not something that can be done part time.
If you go ahead, let us know how it works out, and we'll have learned something, too.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Kinda begs the question from me. Spose I could do sumpin like that to supplement my retirement income? I'd not wanna run the short ones or the long ones, just the medium ones. Don't wanna work during the week, jes weekends. An, it needs to be round trip so's I can be home for my Mon morn fish'in. Wada ya tink?

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Xo6col,

I think you need to take some english classes. That will do you more good than anything.

Learning how to communicate is a big part of expediting. If you plan on doing something like I described , you will need to be able to communicate. I Do Not think you will make it home to fish on monday morning.

I was asking a serious question, in which I already knew the answer but was hoping that someone who had tried this endeavor would respond.

Thanks for the comical response though,but I am well educated on expediting.

Cheri ,

Thanks for your educated answer , it is appreciated. I was asking to see if anyone had actually been successful in doing local runs ( inner city ).

I know that local carriers are hiring part time and paying more for vans. Maybe, I should have said this before I started my comment. I just have no experience with carrier services as compared to expediting ...I do not see the differ when I look at the description on there website.

Take care

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is it feasable?
I don't know what feasable is.

Feasible, on the other hand, I know. :)

Yeah, if you know someone who needs local, expedited deliveries, sure. Lots of that around airports, and certainly for those who want to bounce back and forth between Detroit and Windsor.

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Turtle,

Thanks for that response...feasable is someone who is able to do something ...feasible is something that is worth looking into. feasable has not made it into the dictionary at this time.

Thanks bud

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
lol Ah, yeah, feasable - able to feas. I don't know why Webster is dragging their feet on that one. It's been in use, like, forever.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ever thought of courier work? those hours might work for them.

don't mind the col he has good points there but in his defense he prolly didn't find a tree to park under and might be a little warm.;-)

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Jack Berry,

Yes, i was thinking of courier work. I actually had that in mind and is what I was referring too. I will be available at 1400 hrs, which is still early in the afternoon during the weekdays.

There is alot of companies that do not ship till after that time. You could easily make 4 to 5 local runs during this period. I would make myself available to the smaller mom and pop services during the weekend.

I want you all to know this is just a thought of mine , I do not expect to get rich, I just want to be able to pay for my gas to my full time job and save enough for a replacement vehicle when the time comes.

To the Nay sayers, You can find weekend runs on the job boards if you look, having a full time job, I can be more picky...( picky was added to the dictionary but has not made print at this time )

There is also plenty of runs to be had during the week that will enable you to get back in your bed at a descent hour.

Thanks

If my last name was Truckpunky, instead of Carpunky, I could probally write my own ticket

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Hello.

I also wanted to comment that you could work at McDonalds and make the same amount that I would be making driving part time,that is by the time that you deducted everything from my earnings.

The real thrill comes from having your own business and making it work , the satisfaction of being a American citizen and realizing a dream or a vision that you have is possible.

Even if that dream is a disaster , you are free to try.

xocol,

Sorry,I apologize , after reading your comment, I realized that you misread what I wrote.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If my last name was Truckpunky, instead of Carpunky, I could probally write my own ticket[/quote]

Don't know about that, but you could definitely write your own ticket if your last name were Officer, and the first two were Law Enforcement :D
Nobody's picking on you because of your username, ok? We're just more knowledgeable about expediting than courier work, is all, and expediting wouldn't fit your schedule, IMO.

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Cheri,

I never said or implied that anyone picking on me because of my last name. Officer ? I am a retired correctional officer does that count ?

Expediting does not simply mean going from point A to point B. Expediting simply entails getting the product to a specific location by a specific time. That could entail a 1 hour time frame from the time the plane lands on the runway.

Expediting does not entirely consist of running hundreds of miles every day, it could be 10 miles up to 100 or whatever.

I do not even know why that I post at this point, there are many ways to make money expediting. If you do not live by a major airport hub then you are probably not aware of the potential.

Do 10 city runs at $40 a pop....Kinda like a smart cab driver does, keep the meter going........Do you see what I mean ?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey Mr Punky? Lighten up - it may have been lame, but it was meant as a joke.
I am aware of the potential of local pickup & delivery work. It is called courier work, which differs from expediting, in that expediting is generally long distance. Yes, there are some short runs, but the great majority of what we do requires a sleeper of some sort, (and a CDL) because we will not be home every night. Or every week, or in some cases, every month.
You may well be able to do courier work as a part time thing, but you cannot expedite part time. I hope that answers your question.

carpunky

Expert Expediter
I understand where you are coming from.

I have a class A, just FYI and expediting does not mean that you have to stay out for months, it is what you have been led to believe because there is no other alternative for you at this time.

Expediting simply means getting a product to a specific location by a preset time. That is all, no more.

If you are driving a product 500 miles, is that expediting, obviously it is not that important or it would be flown to major airport then picked up by a expediter ( courier or whatever you would like to call them at this point ).

You simply drive to point A to B in a timely fashion, there is no expediting involved unless you hang out at the terminals and wait for the product to arrive. You simply drive over the road in a small vehicle ( hauling 1 skid or a few packages ) which enables you to make better time than a CDL A driver could do because of dot regulations.

Thanks

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...that will enable you to get back in your bed at a descent hour.

Yo. Word. I'm 'down' with that. :D

I bid you all adieu as I must now make the long descent to my bunk, where I hope to escape the delusional dissent of the impassioned laptop GPS users, and get a decent night's sleep.

Sometimes I crack myself up.

June 15th, 2008
On this date in history:
1215 King John of England signs the Magna Carta
1752 Benjamin Franklin flies a kite
1775 George Washington appointed commander-in-chief of American Army
1836 Arkansas Statehood
1924 Native Americans are granted US citizenship
1938 Johnny Vander Meer threw his second straight no-hitter
1989 Ronald Reagan is knighted by Queen Elizabeth
1992 Dan Quayle spells potato as potatoe

Last edited:

carpunky

Expert Expediter
Lol Turtle.............

Sorry , If I seemed a little crued everyone, i was just making a point.

Cheri,

Do not crunch your nose like that, I was only getting your goat.

I was just throwing ideas out there and wanting opinions is all.

Love ya all