Experience??????

willmart

Rookie Expediter
Can someone please tell me how to get the EXPERIENCE if nobody will hire without it....
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can someone please tell me how to get the EXPERIENCE if nobody will hire without it....

That is an issue as old as people have been working for others.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter

Keep calling, keep asking, keep filling out applications ... perseverance is always good

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Willmart;

Spongebox1 gave some great advice in perseverance. You will need to convince a company to take a chance on you giving you the opportunity. Know your capabilities and be honest. When given the opportunity be sure to hold up your end of the agreement. Once you get a year in you will be able to "write your own ticket" for your future.

If seeking to drive a straight truck you may want to convey in your conversations that you may have driven a straight truck, like a Penske or U-Haul rental numerous times, or if you held a poisition at some point in your career that required you to drive a small box truck, like a cube van, then mention that experience.

Class A tractor operation will require usually at least 1 year verifiable experience.

Good luck in your job seach.

Thanks,

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What kind of vehicle are you trying to get hired to drive?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always recomend cutting your teeth with local delivery companies for at least six month to a year.
That way you will learn the business and how shippers and recievers think. Also it will give you an oppertunity to decide if you want to work on getting your own Motor Carrier authority or work under annother companies, and most inportantly decide if this field is right for you and your family definitely look at the big picture and dont fall for what the recruiters tell you.

I do need to inject a bolus of reality here, hopefuly it wakes you up like a shot of Narcan.

We see guys all the time think get a van or truck, due to no experiance they lease on with whoever will hire them. They get screwed with loads, pay for expensive breakdowns or fines for violations, or dont have enough money for truck and insurance payments. Those of us who have been in this business for a few years have seen manny companies move out overnite and lock thier doors, and leave you stranded and broke. You loose everything and posiably destroy a happy marrage or relationship. If you co drive or partner with a friend you jepordize making it a thing of the past.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Good luck
Bob Wolf

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

Some Carriers will qualify you without experience if you pass a road test given by a School that they approve of. Hope that helps.

willmart

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for all the input. We will not give up.....

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Was curious does require pre made teams or just willing to drive team

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

akguy907

Rookie Expediter
Some places will match two drivers up to a truck but you are rolling the dice there. Those type of situations have mixed results. Husband/wife or same household teams tend to be the most successful.

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, then of what use was the rule?"

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter

Have you found anything yet?
From the pic(avitar) it looks like you are a mature couple. If this is correct, and you know that you can really be inside a truck 24/7 without the URGE to kill each other on a daily basis, (it is hard to get out of a moving vehicle at 65, to 75 mph). Nerves get real short the third day sitting at a truck stop, especially when the temp outside is around 100°, I currently have a vacant Cube van #10,000 GVW, so no logs required, 2005 Savana with a 16' morgan box, equipped with 12V fridge, 13,000 BTU heat pump, 18,000 BTU indoor safe Propane heater, FULL sized bed, 12V Microwave, 2000 W invertor, 3,000 Watt Boliy generator, mounted under box. Will normally carry 4 skids on floor, but bed will fold up and allow 6 skids if necessary. (12' cargo space) wife and I have teamed either that truck, or our 2007 for 2 1/2 years now. Have put 250,000 miles in one or the other during that time. If you are willing to follow some very simple rules, and are still interested, please reply.
K&K

sent from S4 using EO

Last edited:

rjthetightway

Seasoned Expediter
Are you leasing your vehicle out or are you looking for someone to drive for you

Sent from my LG-E980 using EO Forums mobile app