Expediting Virgin Here

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
Hi everybody,

I'm very happy to see such a comprehensive resource on this industry. I'm very seriously looking at getting into the expediting business and had an interview with a company in Ontario, Canada who offered to lease me a vehicle and get me started in either a van or a straight truck, not sure which is more profitable today but from the numbers the recruiter quoted straight truck seemed to be the way to go (but of course I'd take that with a grain of salt).

And that's how I ended up here searching the for sale section to see if the vehicle they were offering was priced fairly also I'd heard that it's not considered to a good idea to lease a vehicle from the same company you work for, thoughts?

Thanks in advance to the community for all the knowledge I'm sure to find contained in these pages.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just be careful about leasing a truck from the same entity that controls your income. There are carriers that make a good buck from leasing the same vehicle to multiple drivers only to cut off your funds before your lease is up. That is assuming a lease to own situation. That's not to say there aren't companies that will offer the same deal and hold their end of the bargain, as long as you honor yours. If you have the ability, it would be better to bring your own truck to lease on to a carrier, then if you are not happy there, you can take your truck elsewhere.
There are also fleet owners to consider if you can't or don't want to own the truck.
Good luck

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
leasing a unit from the company you are driving for is a very bad idea, you will run great for a while
than you fall out of grace, and lose the unit , than your credit takes a big nose dive
and you be able to say no to not taking a load, and if you decide to leave you run into big problems as they won't let take unit some where else
so if you are going lease , lease from some one other than company you drive for
than if you want to leave you can,
same if you buy, you call the shot's not them

Expeditious Expediter

New Recruit
Researching
And I definitely appreciate it. The recruiter made it sound as though work would be easy to come by but from my readings here, I'm hearing that finding van work is increasingly difficult. How tragic it would be if I bought a brand new van through this company and found out the quantity of work really wasn't there. From what I hear it's better to go straight truck these days.