Expediting in Michigan

BBright1975

Active Expediter
I live in Metro Detroit Michigan. The "finding a job in Michigan" is not going to well. I have noticed there a lot of O/O jobs out here. My wife works for a paint company and she deals with shipping. She agrees there is a call out for O/O's. I have the chance to buy a E250/E350 (still have to figure out what is best) This is what I would like to achieve.

Own my own company.
Cargo van only (for now)
All of lower Michigan and maybe northern Ohio
When the kids are moved out (hopefully before they turn 44) go out of state runs.
I have driven c/v for two years. I want to work.

If I buy a c/v where should I start, what can I expect?
What kind of insurance would I need.
I have a chauffeurs dl and a good record.

There is probably more I need to know, but doing research before I leap.

john12666

Active Expediter
I live in Metro Detroit Michigan. The "finding a job in Michigan" is not going to well. I have noticed there a lot of O/O jobs out here. My wife works for a paint company and she deals with shipping. She agrees there is a call out for O/O's. I have the chance to buy a E250/E350 (still have to figure out what is best) This is what I would like to achieve.

Own my own company.
Cargo van only (for now)
All of lower Michigan and maybe northern Ohio
When the kids are moved out (hopefully before they turn 44) go out of state runs.
I have driven c/v for two years. I want to work.

If I buy a c/v where should I start, what can I expect?
What kind of insurance would I need.
I have a chauffeurs dl and a good record.

There is probably more I need to know, but doing research before I leap.
call jerry at tst expidited in woodhave we need drivers 1-888-399-4878

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have to ask, how will you handle it when your carrier calls with a run from metro Detroit going to Laredo Texas??? Expediting is not normal trucking..our freight is not "scheduled" for the most part..if it has to go to oregon or cali..it has to go there...If you want to stay "local (michigan /ohio) look inot "courier or "local air freight"...Expediting is not what you are looking for...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think if you need to stay local and enter expedite then you shouldn't count on any income and just consider any run a bonus. On the occasions you get a run it might be enough to pay some of the expenses for the month but it would be a hobby because most months you are going to lose money. As stated by chefdennis, if you need income and not just something to do look at air freight or courier work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

BBright1975

Active Expediter
Thanks for the reply! Very helpful. Now where do I look into couriers, and what should I expect? And should I still invest in a van? Expediting will still be in my future, but for now I need to stick around home.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Save the van for after you've done your research. If you drove for two years, where are those contacts? That's where I'd start. Find someone who needs you and a vehicle then find the vehicle that meets their requirements. My experience is with over-the-road; courier and local work is usually a different community, so I know little about it.

eb

Monty

Expert Expediter
Hmmm .. thought I just posted to this? Weird science.

Check CEVA Logistics, I'm not endorsing them, I know little of them. But they do local/regional work, might be what you're looking for.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well the first question I have is can you go to Canada?

If so, then my advice is this;

If you want to get into a van, get an E350 under 10k. The biggest body that you can get.

Then as suggested, contact TST and maybe even ask Load-1. There are others who are looking for people who can go or want to go to canada.