Expediting companies

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
Howdy y'all!

I'm leased already with three carriers, I gotta give up on one of 'em, which was a pretty good one, but since July it became unbelievably slow, and now I'm trying to replace it... anyone can give me an idea about who should I sign with?

P.S. I drive a cargo van, not Sprinter, nor a cube van...

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
T&K
eclipse
lrt

Thanks, I am already with Eclipse... speaking about T&K, I've heard they charge $15/mo for the load board (probably they try to recover some Sylectus expenses. LRT, if I'm not mistaken, they ask for a $50 application fee and $25/mo to track you through your cell phone...

lhannah

Active Expediter
Nope, the one that I'm trying to replace pays no more than $.82/mile and that's after 6 (six) weeks of waiting...

that was a good one?

I know some of our drivers run for Little Truck Solutions and T&K. That is not an endorsement because I don't know much about them other than I haven't heard any complaints.

I have heard complaints about LRT.

There seems to be some new support from KF Trucking in another thread.

What works for others might not work for you. Take all opinions as opinions and not the gospel.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In my opinion I think drivers should be the first to get paid on a load because they're the ones that do all of the work. The only problem is that the whole system is set up for 30-60-90 day pay from brokers and partner carriers, and sometimes the profit margins are very thin which makes it hard to go down the factoring route. I am fortunate to work with a few carriers that pay within 6-7 days so that I will be able to get my drivers paid a little bit faster, but sometimes it takes longer unless you use a factoring company. I think if you pay fast and treat the drivers with respect on the phone they will stay with you for a long time, even during the lean times. It's just all in how you want to run your business.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, I am already with Eclipse... speaking about T&K, I've heard they charge $15/mo for the load board (probably they try to recover some Sylectus expenses. LRT, if I'm not mistaken, they ask for a $50 application fee and $25/mo to track you through your cell phone...

When I was with LRT I used to get long loads. John has a knack for getting the longer loads. He just needs to chill out a little bit on the phone. But then again there weren't many loads that LRT got for me that I couldn't have gotten for myself with my own company, I was just too scared to venture out on my own at that point in time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my opinion I think drivers should be the first to get paid on a load because they're the ones that do all of the work. The only problem is that the whole system is set up for 30-60-90 day pay from brokers and partner carriers, and sometimes the profit margins are very thin which makes it hard to go down the factoring route. I am fortunate to work with a few carriers that pay within 6-7 days so that I will be able to get my drivers paid a little bit faster, but sometimes it takes longer unless you use a factoring company. I think if you pay fast and treat the drivers with respect on the phone they will stay with you for a long time, even during the lean times. It's just all in how you want to run your business.

drivers do all the work? LOL

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Drivers do all the work man. How hard is it to make a phone call, book a load, and then pass it on to the driver at a 40% mark up? The driver deals directly (face to face with the customers) which means that the driver is also an ambassador for their carrier. The driver then secures the load in order to protect the company from freight claims, and the driver delivers the load on time in order to build up the carriers reputation; not their own. So, yes, the driver does all of the work and the driver functions in many different capacities. I have had Panther call one of the companies that I still work with and thank the owner because I never snap on the phone when loads turn into adventures.

I once had to drive all over Los Angeles trying to find the original paperwork for an airport pick-up and I never once displayed my anger over the phone when dealing with the customer. I was very angry and kept it to my self and acted in a very calm and professional manner. I called a friend and biotched about the situation on the phone to him, but never once displayed any frustration when dealing with the customer. That is something that dispatch cannot do, they cannot be the ambassador for the company when they are stuck behind the desk at corporate. It's all on the driver to get the job done and to make that first, second, third, and umpteenth impression with the customer!

lhannah

Active Expediter
Drivers do all the work man. How hard is it to make a phone call, book a load, and then pass it on to the driver at a 40% mark up?

We have had a couple conversations about the business as a whole and I congratulate you on getting your own business rolling. With that said, to act like making a phone call and booking a load is all a company does is absurd.

Who takes care of billing and payroll?

Who makes sure you drivers are carrying all the appropriate insurance and licenses?

Who runs vehicle inspections?

Who takes care of the check calls?

Who is out doing sales so you can develop your own customers and get higher paying loads?

Who is out doing recruiting so that you can have higher quality drivers and meet your customers needs?

These are just some of the things that you are missing. Drivers are perhaps the most important part of the business because yes they directly service the customer. I will not argue against that.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You are correct Levi. The people who work behind the scenes do a lot of work, but the driver is still the hardest working link in the chain. The profit margins are low right now i'm not going to argue that, but there are instances where a company can get a good 40 percent mark-up on some loads. It all depends on the customer, time of day, and whether or not the shipper is desperate to get their freight moved.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that the carrier has an easy job. The carrier is taking most of the financial risks. The carrier pays for the load boards, the tracking devices, the recruiting adds, the phone lines, the computers, the banking fees, and a whole array of other fees that are associated with the day to day carrier operations. But the drivers also take on risks of their own while working with their carrier to promote the company name and build up a solid reputation for the carrier.

Also, when I was talking about the 40 percent mark-up I am talking about smaller loads, or longer loads going into sparce areas of the country, and loads that cross the Canadian border. I'm not sure if you go into Canada or not, but not a lot of people like to fool with Canada so it stands to reason that shippers and brokers have to pay more money to get those loads covered! Like I said it's all in who you deal with. I get some loads directly through the broker which cuts out the middle man and it gives me a higher mark-up than a load that I get off of a bid board that has been taken from the broker and re-brokered!

Last edited by a moderator:

lhannah

Active Expediter
Okay, so we aren't as far apart as it first appeared.

That is good to know. I drove for awhile and while my financial risk was far less than what the average O/O encounters, I do have enormous respect for all of you. Simply put, I can't do my job without a responsible wheel man.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Okay, so we aren't as far apart as it first appeared.

That is good to know. I drove for awhile and while my financial risk was far less than what the average O/O encounters, I do have enormous respect for all of you.

Simply put, I can't do my job without a responsible wheel man.
Or woman. [sorry - couldn't resist poking!] :p
We all depend on each other to do each part of the job well, so we can all make those 'dollas' [in TJP's inimitable phrase.] We work best when we work together. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I get some loads directly through the broker which cuts out the middle man and it gives me a higher mark-up than a load that I get off of a bid board that has been taken from the broker and re-brokered!

I thought a freight broker is the middle-man. When a broker is involved, the shipper does not book the load with a carrier, the shipper books the load with a broker. The broker then finds a carrier to haul that load. Is that not the very definition of a middle-man (middle-person)?

jamesr

Active Expediter
well i have been on both sides of this picture as far as driver and dispatcher and many times i would have rather been driving. to say that dispatch dose not have to control their temper or deal with irate people or time frames is a lot of bull ! be lucky your not sitting behind that desk. if you have a dispatcher your not the only one that person deals with.