Expediter Hall of Fame to Shut down website after 2011 Expo.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Mayfield Express LLC owners of the Expediters Hall of Fame website has made the choice to shut down the website due to problems on other web sites. David Mayfield the President of Mayfield Express LLC said " The site will be shut down after this years Expedite Expo because their is nobody that can run this site without something negitive said. The site was suppose to honor the people who helped make a change in Expediting. Until a group of people are put together with the bylaws of the Expediters Hall of Fame it will remain shut down." Mayfield Express has plans to build a new home office within the next few years in the North East Ohio area and offer a space for the Expediters Hall of Fame. The Expediters Hall of Fame will keep everyone updated if any changes are made.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Mayfield Express LLC owners of the Expediters Hall of Fame website has made the choice to shut down the website due to problems on other web sites. David Mayfield the President of Mayfield Express LLC said " The site will be shut down after this years Expedite Expo because their is nobody that can run this site without something negitive said. The site was suppose to honor the people who helped make a change in Expediting. Until a group of people are put together with the bylaws of the Expediters Hall of Fame it will remain shut down." Mayfield Express has plans to build a new home office within the next few years in the North East Ohio area and offer a space for the Expediters Hall of Fame. The Expediters Hall of Fame will keep everyone updated if any changes are made.

That would be an great shame if you were to do that, on the comments of one person :(

I, and I'm sure others, urge you to reconsider your decision.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That would be an great shame if you were to do that, on the comments of one person :(

I, and I'm sure others, urge you to reconsider your decision.

Guess you missed our weekend debate?

After Dave and I got our heads together and he explained a lot clearer the way it would be set-up....I support the site...

It would be a shame he takes it down....

I would also say...there was a lot that watched our debate, heated at times....and NOT one post supported Dave or myself....
That is what is wrong with to-days politics....No one does anything....Dave and I were left out there hanging....

Dave...Lets get on with this project ....:)

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Guess you missed our weekend debate?

After Dave and I got our heads together and he explained a lot clearer the way it would be set-up....I support the site...

It would be a shame he takes it down....

I would also say...there was a lot that watched our debate, heated at times....and NOT one post supported Dave or myself....
That is what is wrong with to-days politics....No one does anything....Dave and I were left out there hanging....

Dave...Lets get on with this project ....:)

LOL if you noticed, I did not mention any names nor did I use the word "support" as, IMO anyway, that was not the gist of the OP.

" ...The site will be shut down after this years Expedite Expo because their is nobody that can run this site without something negitive said"

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What other website?? The supporters here need to see those comments and refute them...if they are just basic negativity from a bunch that have a "hard-on" for EO...to hell with that...I am willing to make a financial donation to help offset cost to Mayfield Express LLC...

Keep the project alive, the 1st induction showes a great start that should not be let to fold simply because of negative comments....

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know anything about the other website. But having a "I'm taking my ball and going home" attitude because not everyone is in lockstep with your opinions seems silly.
This is the Internet after all.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
LOL if you noticed, I did not mention any names nor did I use the word "support" as, IMO anyway, that was not the gist of the OP.

" ...The site will be shut down after this years Expedite Expo because their is nobody that can run this site without something negitive said"

Reality check....there will always be negative comments on any subject...

Hence this project should proceed...:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What other website?? The supporters here need to see those comments and refute them...if they are just basic negativity from a bunch that have a "hard-on" for EO...to hell with that...I am willing to make a financial donation to help offset cost to Mayfield Express LLC...

Keep the project alive, the 1st induction showes a great start that should not be let to fold simply because of negative comments....

Dennis..exactly....there will always be negative comments..on any subject..this one is not immune...

So with that said....Dave, Please reconsider....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I ran through the forum on "the other" site and it didn't take long since most of the post are older then dirt, and i saw nothing..

So leaves the "New" other site that a few ex members here started and are making it a habit of "calling out" members here..if that is where these comments are coming from , screw that...and if they are coming from "general trucking" sites...who cares...

I know of one member here that frequents the "ex-members" site and has told me whats goning on there and that we hould o over there and get "involoved"...I have no time for that o i have no direct idea whats being said, but as far as I ma concerned...the project should continue,,,

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Money is not the problem at all to be honest. It's the support that people have for my long time friend Lawrence Mc cord and Ontime Media taking over the website and promoting the website each year at the Expo. Do your really think I would waste my time and Money to do this to turn it over to Lawrence if it was going to be the good old boys Hall of Fame. When Jeff Jensen was sick, who did I ask about him being the 1st person of the Expediters Hall of Fame? I asked the people in the business, You the drivers, the people of the forum. Everyone agreed that Jeff Jenson should be put in the Hall of fame this year at the Expedite Expo.

Now I will ask that people give their input on the bylaws of the EHOF. It's not my site or Ontime Media's site. It's the people that have made a change in this bsuiness site.

Now does anyone have a problem with Ontime Media taking over the website and promoting the Site and the voting for the Hall?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
I am going to offer a bit of tangible advice openly. We discussed this site before and you seem not to like my suggestions or have missed the point so I will post it so others can comment.

1 - keep it simple. Get rid of half of the buttons, the entry page and have a focus on proper navigation (bottom and top) through the site. Colors matter, Red is a bad color and you need to understand about colors and form when it comes to the new and returning visitor who should get a pleasant visit. The same goes for Frames, it looked like you were using them, get rid of them.

1a - write for a general audience, not the professional and promote the site (already has had world wide attention thanks to Lockridge and Lawrence) and the profession by simplifying things. Many don't know what we do and others could care less, so maybe looking at rolling some general trucking history and shipping history into the site to give them a background. Doesn't have to be more than a page or two long.

2 - Jeff's page reads like an obit, it is rather depressing even to me (Mr. negitive). Add links to his articles, add more positive pictures of him and so on but don't drive his name into the ground like the site is a tribute to just Jeff. Give a positive spin on the page and every page. You can stick the History of Expediting in there too even if it is unfinished, like a serial to keep the visitors coming back. You don't need to promote events or anything just yet unless Lawrence is paying you, and then I wouldn't make full pages out of it.

3 - Cost? What cost? IF you have a site already with a good provider, then you should be able to have multiple URLs and complete sites on the same server with no additional cost. Some of my former clients still use GOdaddy and a few of them have multiple sites on a shared service which reduces their cost to $10 a month for high volume sites. I would refrain from advertising and go for sponsors instead and then keep their names on the page but not all the graphics to avoid grabbing the attention from the reader.

4 - management should only take you 30 minutes every other day or an hour or two a week at the most. Once you have a clear and easy site working, then plan on how the mechanism for who and what goes into the EHoF. Without the presences, it is rather meaningless to even discuss it.

4a - learn about Google Analytics and how to use it the right way. Don't just think hits equate to traffic, theres more to it than that.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Dave wrote:

Now does anyone have a problem with Ontime Media taking over the website and promoting the Site and the voting for the Hall?

Dave the part of the quote from your post that I highlighted, I think is where some take issue....It is my understanding that Ontime Medis and EO and all connected are NOT TAKING OVER the site, they are offering to HOST the site on their server....and also promote the site in their publication and on the web...that I can't see anyone complaining about and no one can take from that that5 Ontime Media and EO are running that site or the content..

It is all in the words used from what I see....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Dave: I, for one, would be happy to see OTM take over the EHOF, because it's a bigger project than you can deal with, [having several other jobs to do], and OTM has a pretty impressive track record.
I hadn't offered to help, being nowhere near as internet savvy as some [like Greg], but if there's anything I can do, please let me know.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
I'm glad you are not offended by what I said but I will add a couple things - I was interrupted a lot when I wrote that.

5 -Don't depend on "people" to write the bylaws and so on, you are the one with the vision as you see it and it is your baby, so let it reflect you to a point. It isn't hard to do and many of us believe you are the right person to start it off right. When you have a community involvement without face time, it is difficult to nail down key issues. Being open about criticism is one avenue for improvement and another is limited participation with unlimited feedback.

6 - the only reservation I have about Lawrence et. al. taking control is the issue I (and others may have) with an advertiser driven site taking control of it. My experience has been once this happens, it is another exposure point for the company to use to capture ad revenue and it happens that they may just start placing ads there. My suggestion is to have their help, not have their control and with some affiliation with them and other sites (lockridge?) work to strive for sponsorship of the site to cover some expenses if need be but also use their name as a jumping off point to get more visitors.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave,
I'm glad you are not offended by what I said but I will add a couple things - I was interrupted a lot when I wrote that.

5 -Don't depend on "people" to write the bylaws and so on, you are the one with the vision as you see it and it is your baby, so let it reflect you to a point. It isn't hard to do and many of us believe you are the right person to start it off right. When you have a community involvement without face time, it is difficult to nail down key issues. Being open about criticism is one avenue for improvement and another is limited participation with unlimited feedback.

6 - the only reservation I have about Lawrence et. al. taking control is the issue I (and others may have) with an advertiser driven site taking control of it. My experience has been once this happens, it is another exposure point for the company to use to capture ad revenue and it happens that they may just start placing ads there. My suggestion is to have their help, not have their control and with some affiliation with them and other sites (lockridge?) work to strive for sponsorship of the site to cover some expenses if need be but also use their name as a jumping off point to get more visitors.

Thank You Greg...

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
The site will be shut down after the Expo only to change things. It's not going to be shut down all together. The Expediters Hall of Fame will have a table at the Expo and things from over the years in the Expedite Business. We would like to use the Expedite Expo every year as the place where people are put in the EHOF. The reason for the Expedite Expo is because it is the biggest event in the expediting business. Ontime Media has offered to help with many things. Like I said before, It's about the people who made a change in this Business over the years.

If anyone want to be apart of this please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] or call our office at 330-723-5100

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Is somebody saying that there are three web sites for expediting instead of one and a quarter? If so when did that happen?

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Is somebody saying that there are three web sites for expediting instead of one and a quarter? If so when did that happen?

No Jim there is three sites for the Expediter Hall of Fame. The 1st one I started up was on a free web page. The 2nd one is the one I got threw Tip top webpage. And the new one is the domain name Expedieter Hall of Fame which we will be changing over too.