Expedited freight quote formula HELP!!!!

iceweasles

Seasoned Expediter
Help could someone please help me figure out the formula for quoting expedited freight. I have been put in charge of this and up till now I have been only seeking CLASS A full truckload freight. I feel that I am in foreign territory here....HELP!!!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't think there is any difference, rates and profits are the same.. the method to figure your cost is the same and putting on a percentage of profit is the same.... meaning nothing special about expedited freight when you come down to it.

iceweasles

Seasoned Expediter
What is a formula that you use is what I need to know. Someone told price per pound per mileage. There is a possibility that I may get a dedicated lane but I still have to compete with my competitors. Could someone please show me a standard formula for figuring it out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Do you know your operating costs?

There is no standard formula, it all is based on basic business practices of profit, break even and costs.

In this business, expediting, the costs are more based on the fact much of the freight is moved by exclusive use trucks which means that the customer has that truck for that freight and only that freight.

If you want to know how to quote right, you have to know what it costs you to move the truck, without that one number, it is useless to post any formula.

Last edited:

iceweasles

Seasoned Expediter
Break even statements are my forte, I am also a driving school which means I can also keep my costs relatively low

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
In the beginning expedited rates were higher than any others,supply and demand.If a customer needs the freight or he shuts his plant down,he needs to pay for the service.To many companies have sprouted up,and give their services away.Hope you aren't going to be another.

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Ah another person with Zero Expedite know how trying to quote Expedite freight. Doesn't even know how to quote. LOL, sad. Who would hire and put in charge this person? With no service or history of dependability you can only sell cheaper rates. Prepare to be EXPLOITED. Those that can't teach, oh yeah this person does.
Abusing newbies out of driving school is a crapy thing to do !
I'm sick and tired of these Eastern european sweat shops. (just guessing)Exploiting their immigrant labor, while driving rates lower.
Stop the madness, this is 2009 not 1999