Expedite straight truck pay question min/max

mojoblues

Seasoned Expediter
hello
I was thinking about going into expediting..have about 3 years with CDL-A OTR 48 states tractor with 53 foot trailers. I'm looking at Panther and Express-1.. I want to buy a nice straight truck with sleeper. I have cash saved for the truck so I wont be needing to make payments..
I was wondering how much the straight truck with sleepers are making a week?...I work hard and stay out for weeks at a time...so figure I will be working as much as I can..maybe 3 weeks on and 1 off.... I'm just wondering if it's worth going the expedite route or buying a regular tractor and 53' trailer..
what is the worst and the best $$ per week or per month profits..I'm used to making no less than 700 a week but usually I make about 1000 a week driving 53' trailers
Thanks

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
are u planning 2 run solo,or team? if solo stay with t/t.teams can do $1000.00-$2500wk.most expediting co.want teams preferably same house hold.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
we drive for a fleet owner,you should not buy a truck for at lest 2yrs.go thru previous posts.study study study!most owners pay 40/60 split or 60/40 split i recomend 40/60 untill u know the bus.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Hang on to your cash and drive for a fleet owner first. See if you like it before you drop that cash on a truck. Yes, there is money to be made, but expediting requires more sitting time and that alone drives some T/T drivers crazy.

Another issue that you may not have thought about is the fact that once you are out of T/T for a few years, you can't go back easily. Most companies require re training to drive a T/T again, no matter how many years experience you may have had.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm just wondering if it's worth going the expedite route or buying a regular tractor and 53' trailer..

quite honestly, if you are in the T/T, stay there for a while. The economy is not going to really pick up for a while and if you are doing something with the versatility of a T/T, stick to it.

mojoblues

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone for the info. I just got off the phone with Panther and they told me they are really busy now and I can make a good living driving solo. They said over 100k a year easily. Of course recruiters can be full of it too...anyone know about Panther straight truck drivers

I want to drive solo mostly in the south for the winter. They said loads for solo drivers are no more than one days drive of max 600 miles. I'm semi retired and don't mind sitting a lot. need to work but don't want to be overworked either. Last place I worked for the log book meant nothing to them...money was the issue..not safety..don't want to go back to that.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I would guess very few solo's are making 100k
and if they are that is gross before all expenses
It does seem to be picking up but most of us are still struggling to survive

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
I wish we could just run the south for the winter back and forth from florida to laredo would be nice!you don't get to pick where the frieght is or takes you.dedicated lanes in expediting is this somthing new? do you know how you can tell if a recrutier is lying? there lips will be moving!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rule #1 - don't beleive the recruiters. Learn from people who are actually doing this.

100K? Ok who is making a 100K without owning a fleet as a solo this year?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Rule #1 - don't beleive the recruiters. Learn from people who are actually doing this.

100K? Ok who is making a 100K without owning a fleet as a solo this year?

Before expenses it might be possible. I'm lucky to net 1000 a month right now:eek
Honestly, I was making more working for a local courier making $10.00 an hour. I don't even keep track of my hours now. I just don't want to know:(. I am looking towards the future when the economy recovers, and am just hanging in there now.