Expedite dead now JB Hunt

shadowtrk

Seasoned Expediter
i work for ASE and we are now pulling jb hunt trailers and thier Freight due to freight being so slow, well lastnight 2 panther 2 trucks came rolling in the flying j north of columbus, oh doing the same thing. I have noticed alot of companys leaseing(pimping out thier drivers) to JBH, anyone else know what the deal is? or is it just b/c of the freight?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
im not with panther,but in the past,i have pulled another companies trailer,when that trailer needed to be at a location,when that company didnt have a driver t o take the load.In this case,FDCC had us pick this trailer up in michigan,take it to kansas city,drop it and paid us to bobtail back,actually it was a round trip load,and we just had to bobtail back.Another time we took a kmart trailer to texas,out of atlanta, and bobtailed back,the coolest one, we took a carnival trailer to fl out of nc,and bobtailed back.These loads always pay round trip,as we have to be able to get our FDCC trailers back

shadowtrk

Seasoned Expediter
sorry if i wasnt clear we are contracted out to JB Hunt we cannot pull any other freight than jbh. ive jsut noticed aot of companys contracting out to them, it it b/c they are paying contractors good right now or is it the old motto cheaper freight but more volume?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know in the past I've known JB to pay decent on loads they broker out. I don't know how they have been doing recently because I have haven't needed to use it in a while.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I have pulled other peoples trls before and its because their driver didnt show up and the freight had to go and as stated in here by another driver it pays a round trip after i drop the trl i bobtailed back to my trailer. As far as Panther pimping some trucks out Panther doesn't own any trucks so they can't do that. All they can do is make an offer to a truck owner for a freight movenemt period.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I was offered JB hunt loads at ASE, but what is the point of parking my straight truck and working for a fleet owner, when I can go direct to a freight hauler and eliminate the middlemen. Why cut the pie 4 ways between me ,ASE, the fleet owner and JB Hunt when I can go direct to a company and get the benefits? I start with a small freight hauler Tuesday that will get me home every week instead of every six weeks. I worked for nice people at my last 3 expedite jobs, but that doesn't pay the bills. Its time to get back to real trucking job where I can work 5 or 6 days a week instead of one.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Another scenario: JB Hunt's customer uses drop trailers. Suddenly the load got upgraded to an expedite, but the two bobtails weren't scheduled to arrive until the next morning. JB Hunt does advertise expedited services to their customer, just not "in-house."

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
The deal I was offered was to drive for a fleet owner and work exclusivly for JB. I was given the offer by ASE management. This might be a way for expedite companies to survive, but I do not need a middle man to have a job in trucking. It is silly for a driver to work for 3 employers when you can go direct to JB or any other company and have fringe benefits.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
GUESS WHAT I JUST HEARD?

I made a drop back in Orlando this morning. I had to wait, as there were three trucks ahead of me. Sitting in the driver booth, I got to talking with an O/O with ATS transport. He mentioned how he had just bought his own truck and how things were slow and rates were down. Then he mentioned two things that he knew that were helping the average carrier out there: JB HUnt and Swift had made some recent "mistakes." Please understand that what I am about to say is nothing short of "truckstop gossip", but someone may be able to find some verification by what I will say.

He said that JB Hunt's "mistake" was that the company just bounced a million dollars worth of check last month for fuel, and now, no one wants to sell them fuel on spec. Because of that, they have been having to farm out a load of freight to other carriers, as they cannot afford to run their own trucks.

Swift's mistake was of course the closing of their Memphis lisencing fraud that got their school shut down awhile back.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I believe that to be truckstop gossip.

I don't know about the Swift's CDL school fraud, but I do know I moved up from my Class B to my Class A license 4 years ago now with Swift... thru the Memphis terminal.
I had no trouble.

One thing I did spot was that they had TN DOT workers working in a "contract" office for only a few hours a week to help move students thru the red tape of the CDL program. They taught me well, as did my trainer with Swift, but it did help me that I had been driving tour busses with and without trailers for about 6 or 7 years prior to driving an 18-wheeler.

As far as pulling trailers for other co.'s, that's simple to explain... they (different co.'s - Not just JB) need the trailers moved to a certain region and don't have the drivers available where the trailers are currently located at... So to get them moved they "farm out" to other co.'s to get the freight move and/or EM's (empty moves) done.
Shoot, Swift hauls Target, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart trailers all the time.