Expedite companies that lease on older vans?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Are there any expedite companies out there that will accept a van that's 02-05ish?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've researched this in the past, all these companies that are smaller want you to have your own cargo insurance which cost about 400 a month. I hope someone has a better answer. Lower weekly monthly expenses is the trick to this business and waiting for loads that pay, American wages is worth the wait. I can't survive in my demographics on .70 cents a mile. Mines well just stay at home and find a cheap place to live and enjoy life locally. $1 per mile I'm ready to turn the key, we're in business.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Find a new business owner. I'm getting 70% with a 2005 sprinter. Of course if you don't know how to fix it yourself, you'll be making your mechanic richer than you.

Plenty of affordable Sprinter mechanics out there if you're in LA or Toledo OH.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
70% of what? a dollar?.....LOL
Maximum he can get, and I see the contracts as proof. Pay is good if the chitchat in here's accurate, and his direct customers are really good

Our previous carrier in common stopped looking for backhauls years ago, so imagine all those runs you took with a guaranteed unpaid deadhead back home

My answer's based on working with an older van. I was his first to sign on, the fact that's it's an 05 doesn't present a problem when you're the ONLY choice :D

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you work directly with the owner it's not an issue. Work with a huge company where they try to give you a set rate per mile...and keep the extra...probably hard to make that

Not sure if its a secret, but every delivery settles out at a different price...if you've got a set rate you run for, more than half the time they're making more off you than they should in order to "guarantee" you that set rate...i'll take my occasional .70 cents because more often it's over a buck

When you're the only one close to a pickup the year of the van doesn't factor in so much

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Sprinter 158 is a Sprinter 158. Hands down carriers should be ashamed to turn down a truck with so much space and capability. :)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When there is an oversupply of vans it's easy for carriers to turn away older vehicles. They can choose to be picky when they get five or ten calls a day asking if they are putting on vans. It's the same old supply and demand we have talked about for years

Reactions: ntimevan

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have a ton of Class A drivers that just get fed up with regulations etc which creates a huge amount of vans on the road. I've been in the Sprinter game since 2010 so I think I'm here to stay for now until I can make enough to start another business or buy home and just be a landlord or something like that.... I mean I'd go to a straight if I had 100k to fork over, wouldn't want a payment and that kinda money should go towards real estate or a business where you don't have to drive nationwide no since living out of Sprinters and renting storage units to store stuff the rest of my life :Do_O