Excuse me?

YarnDoll

Seasoned Expediter
How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That would depend on how much you want to know what they said - if it's dispatch talking, I'm gonna keep asking till I'm clear on what they said. If it's my mother, on the other hand....:D

guido4475

Not a Member
I will make it a point to let them know that I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying, please slow down and speak clearly so I can understand you.This is one reason why I love the qualcomm so much, less mistakes, better communication, all documented.Alot quicker than calling in and getting a dispatcher that is trying to hold 3 separate conversations at the same time. lol.Sound familiar, Cheri? ....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Michael O'Donoghue had a regular piece; "Underwear For The Deaf" in the National Lampoon Magazine during the 1970's. Maybe you can find some old copies on E-bay to help you with your problem.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Coming from the West coast where we don't have much of an accent. I have a hard time with some of the Midwestern and Southern accents. I had a friend when I lwas living in Southern California who was originally from Mexico. He said he'd rather have people ask him to repeat himself then to just nod and say okay. He also said he appreciated when people would correct him when he said something wrong. I wouldn't correct a complete stranger, but I don't think it is insulting to ask people to repeat themselves are to spell out what they are saying(names, addresses etc) Sometimes I ask people to repeat themselves and ask them to talk a little slower LOL
How many times has someone left a voicemail and you have to listen to it three or four times just to get the phone number because they ramble it off so fast.