excess freight

G

Not sure where this question belongs so please feel free to move it.....

If a major expediting company get a call from a customer and they do not have a vehicle available what do they do with the run? I ask this because I own a small expediting company out of the upstate of SC and would love to receive some of the left-overs. I also need better contacts for backhaul comming back to the SE.

I operate sprinter vans and straight trucks.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Childsafe,
Good question. Most larger expediters have back up carriers that they contact to help cover some of the excess freight if they don't have any of their contractors around to handle it. You should contact some of them and ask about being on that list.

Good Luck,

ABC

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I hope you share what you learn here. It seems that every carrier hauls freight for other carriers at one time or another. I'd love to know more about the brokering that goes on behind the scenes.

My wife and I once picked up a load inside a huge terminal for a moving van company. When we went inside to do the paperwork, we saw a drivers lounge packed full of drivers, smoking and watching TV. When we delivered, we looked across the street and saw another terminal for this same company. I still wonder how and why we ended up hauling the load. With all those resources, couldn't they have hauled the freight themselves?