Ever have this happen?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We have a Carrier Comfort Pro gen 4 apu. Saturday morning we kicked it on for a minute. I noticed that it sounded quite odd, so we thought maybe we had snapped a belt again. At first glance there was no snapped belt, but a bit of movement on the alternator, so we thought t needed to be tightened. Upon Further exploration we find that it has sheared itself from the block, completely. Of course, we are 473 hours out of warranty. Has anyone else ever had this happen??

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401817064306.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401817064306.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1401817075086.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401817075086.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 62

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Had two do that, one welded and one replaced. Alt brackets on the older versions were designed poorly for the vibration on these things. Both of ours snapped at the adjustment ears.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Thanks! We are going to take it to carrier. They said that the should be able to weld a piece back on, how long that will last, well, time will tell. Just really put a damper on things, like using the ac.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Well, carrier won't touch it, we are trying to find an independent welder that will do it, challenge is that its aluminum

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Now that I am on my laptop I see it is the pivot bolt..Ouch Don't think a Mig or Tig weld will take care of that. My next step would look for a local machine shop to re-fabricate a mount, I know that is not much help but I have seen it done before with bolt stock.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well, carrier won't touch it, we are trying to find an independent welder that will do it, challenge is that its aluminum

Surely there is an automotive replacement available that is suitable. Any casting marks indicating the manufacturer (Denso, for example)? Take a picture of the electrical plugs and post them, if it's convenient. I'd bet that you could replace it for a song.

A place that rebuilds alternators and starters could easily identify it, I bet.

Edit: I see, it's the alternator mount, missed that part. What brand is the engine, and what's its model number? I do think that could be welded successfully.

Last edited:

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Surely there is an automotive replacement available that is suitable. Any casting marks indicating the manufacturer (Denso, for example)? Take a picture of the electrical plugs and post them, if it's convenient. I'd bet that you could replace it for a song.

A place that rebuilds alternators and starters could easily identify it, I bet.

Edit: I see, it's the alternator mount, missed that part. What brand is the engine, and what's its model number? I do think that could be welded successfully.

It's a Kubota Z482e, and I believe the alternator IS a Denso. That last part is a guess.....but I should know.....we've replaced a few.