Cargo Van Espar heater

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My espar heater finally crapped out. Thankfully we were headed for home so no cold nights. I paid 150 bucks for it (used) almost 4 years ago. I serviced it once prior just for the lack of history on it. What I found this time is a plugged fuel pump filter and a plugged filter in the combustion chamber. These are very tiny filters and very very fine mesh. I have a separate tank for the diesel fuel. (van is gas) I pulled the tank drained it, cleaned it blow the lines out. Very very little in the bottom. My pickup tube is an inch off the bottom. So the clogged filters I have to assume are from the diesel fuel itself. In Europe they say the fuel in the states is "dirty fuel". I tend to believe that. I try and run kerosene when I can but it's not always available. A good cleaning new filters and she's running like new. I also changed the glow plug, although there was no problems with it other than unknown age. Glow plug, gaskets and filters were a 100 bucks on eBay. It's an easy job so don't be afraid to dive into it. Very simple machine. I think every two years will be a good service schedule on it for me. Going to add a filter before the pump as well. Can't imagine being without it.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ordered my off brand Diesel Air Heater on Sunday afternoon and it was delivered about 20 minutes ago to the house . Wow , 6 to 7 days early. Will install it Tomorrow or Friday depending on weather..
Would of today but got a Great Rate 328 mile load to do..

Money not Miles

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like an awesome machine.

I’ve wondered, why rely on 2 different power sources (espar and generator), but I assume the espar is just that much better at its job than any heater running off the generator.

Reactions: Pro3500

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ordered my off brand Diesel Air Heater on Sunday afternoon and it was delivered about 20 minutes ago to the house . Wow , 6 to 7 days early. Will install it Tomorrow or Friday depending on weather..
Would of today but got a Great Rate 328 mile load to do..

Money not Miles
Nice thing is espar parts fit those. So if it fails early you can put in the better parts. My money is it’s a good unit. I was going to buy one before I found this one. Worth every penny for sure. I love this heater.

Reactions: ntimevan

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like an awesome machine.

I’ve wondered, why rely on 2 different power sources (espar and generator), but I assume the espar is just that much better at its job than any heater running off the generator.
The espar is cheap to run. A gallon or less in 24 hrs and battery drain is minimal. We run ours underway at times as well. Keeps the bunk nice and warm. Set the thermostat and forget about it. Repairing them is cheaper than repairing or replacing a generator. I plan on buying a generator this summer for A/C and recharging house batteries. Love my heater for sure.

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
It only holds 5 gallons so even a small bottle will last a long. I’ve been looking at some, not sure what everyone is running these days. I used to use fttp I think it was called. Small bottle but I never had any issues while running it in my big trucks. Definitely going to add something to it.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pro3500, why not convert it to a gas espar?
Cost way more and gas doesn’t burn as hot as fuel oil or diesel. My dad ran a covair gas heater in his KW for years. Had the exhaust pipe laying under the intake on the 318 detroit. Started on the coldest mornings. Espars weren't around back then. It was a 72 he bought brand new. Only guy around with a bunk heater at that time.

Reactions: ntimevan

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Cost way more and gas doesn’t burn as hot as fuel oil or diesel. My dad ran a covair gas heater in his KW for years. Had the exhaust pipe laying under the intake on the 318 detroit. Started on the coldest mornings. Espars weren't around back then. It was a 72 he bought brand new. Only guy around with a bunk heater at that time.
True, gas isnt as hot as diesel but it's not a huge difference and it comes from the tank instead of a different source. I know your not going to change over but in the long run it's better.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
True, gas isnt as hot as diesel but it's not a huge difference and it comes from the tank instead of a different source. I know your not going to change over but in the long run it's better.
I’ve talked with a couple of guys with gas and they love them. If this one ever goes completely dead I would look at gas. I was actually looking for a gas one when I bought this one. I think I would opt for the next size up. This one was used and 150 bucks. It’s paid for itself 10 times over. Big truck junk yard cheap.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not convert over to gas?
Gas heaters are 1700-2000 new depending on where you get them. This one was a 150.00 used from a big truck junk yard. In line filter I think will stop most of the crap from getting in. I found a water separator/filter for espar I may put on it. Although there was zero water in the tank.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I put a lownmower filter on my espar fuel line right before the pump when installed it back in 2006. I have never had an issue with the espar heater. It has been sitting now for more than 2 years in my van and just for kicks I hit the button and it started right up.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gas heaters are 1700-2000 new depending on where you get them. This one was a 150.00 used from a big truck junk yard. In line filter I think will stop most of the crap from getting in. I found a water separator/filter for espar I may put on it. Although there was zero water in the tank.
I converted my gas espar to diesel for $750 and had it installed in my 2012 Sprinter. Now its in my 2017 Sprinter.

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I converted my gas espar to diesel for $750 and had it installed in my 2012 Sprinter. Now its in my 2017 Sprinter.
What did you replace? The entire head unit or internals? I assume the burner and pump are probably the only difference. Wiring and thermostat would be the same? They are definitely worth every penny. Can’t imagine not having it.

guido4475

Not a Member
For $895.00 a complete Espar D2 setup can be purchased from Cerni motors (international) in Youngstown, Ohio.

I bought a main unit that comes with a gas pump for $800.00 from Ray to replace my current unit that needed a tune up and a was needing a blower motor due to hours on it, I felt. I sold that unit to a friend for 400 bucks 2 years ago. So I got a new unit fir 400 bucks, that gave me a 2 year warranty.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What did you replace? The entire head unit or internals? I assume the burner and pump are probably the only difference. Wiring and thermostat would be the same? They are definitely worth every penny. Can’t imagine not having it.
Brian at Espar of Mich. did the conversion. Whatever parts that were needed to convert were changed. Still have that same espar in my current Sprinter.