Espar heater installation on the cheap, any recommendations?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking to remove a Espar from one van and install it into my 06 Sprinter to stay warm, does anyone know anyone who can do this on the cheap up in Michigan/Ohio/Virginia or surrounding states, suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As with most things (construction in particular), you can have it done cheap, done quick, and done good. Pick any of the two. Can't have all three.

You can have it done cheap and quick, but it won't be done well.
You can have it cheap and good, but it won't be quick.
You can have it done quick and good, but it won't be cheap.

If you're not in a hurry and you have a warm place to work, then you can certainly do it yourself. Otherwise, I'd recommend Brian Verner, who does all the Espar of Michigan installs, at 734-735-6971. It'll be done well, and quick.

Reactions: SWTexas1

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or you can take it to nearly any Thermo King outlet also done well and quick....:p

Idk, I'm a little leery of ThermoKing. At least the Detroit one. May have been a freak thing, but they got so many shavings in my fuel tank from drilling the line in that it clogged my fuel filter and OVM had to take my load

On the positive side, they did cost a lot less then Espar of Michigan, although losing a load probably made it a wash

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was looking for a independent I guess there are none out there... I'm swapping a espar from one sprinter to another.
Last guy charged me around 450 I think and the espar stopped working not sure if it was a installation issue or espar problem but the d2 heater only has one season of use on it. Mines well put it in the van that I need it in and retire the other 06 Sprinter that no one wants on their fleet. o_O

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It comes with an installation manual, so any competent mechanic can do it. If you know what you're doing (if you've installed one before) it's a 5 hour install. If you don't (never installed one before, no matter how good a mechanic you are), it's a 10 hour install. So I don't think you're going to get anyone to do it for like $100.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To add.to what turtle said you also want an auxiliary Battery to power the espar. If you don't currently.have one you need to install one or pay someone to do so.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Shavings in the fuel tank can be a concern. We had Espar install some on our tractors and had tow of them that had issues for to shavings. Now I will say Ray and Espar stood by the install and took care of it to make it right.

Reactions: Moot and RoadTime

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Considering almost all fuel tanks have extra plugs I'm not sure why they would need to drill them if nothing else add a double tap to the fuel line ...... Just never run your heater if your really low on fuel if you that low and your parking get fuel!

Reactions: Moot

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Agree with OVM
Any thermo king. Warranty and service anywhere. Had mine done in milbury oh

What did they end up charging for the installation? Nationwide warranty and service might be the ticket but I'm not sure if I'll keep this 06 Sprinter more then this winter and maybe next with the 2018 about to drop next summer.

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
If we order a minimum of 50 of these we can get them for about $300 each from China. Gas diesel combo. Would the moderator be willing to receive these monies from 50 individuals and place the order? I have all the information.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As long as its a genuine espar you can sign me up last I checked I thought it was a German company? $300 sounds too good to be true I could see maybe 500-600 with a large quantity like that.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The $300 ones from China are, not surprisingly, cheap pieces of crap from China. There are stories all over the Internet about a lack of parts and a lack of people willing to work on them (in no small part due to a lack of parts).

50 is a bunch of people, but 50 units isn't that many, since you really need to order 2 or 3 just to have some spare parts.

Reactions: xiggi