Erase info on old cell phone

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I got this tip on my Kim Komando newsletter this week. I knew of removing info from old computers, but never thought about it on my phone. The newer phones have so much info now, you do need to wipe it, if you're recycling, or donating it to an abuse program, etc.

-------------

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average cell phone is used only 18 months. Multiply that by about 200 million cell phone users in the U.S. alone. That's a lot of discarded phones!

If you're getting rid of a working phone, have it recycled. But before you do, protect your personal information. Keep contacts, text messages and photos out of a stranger's hands.

Most cell phone recycling services expect you to erase data. And if your phone is as full as mine, you'll need help.

A good place to start is the Cell Phone Data Eraser at www.WirelessRecycling.com. Its instructions guide you through the removal of every last byte. Each set of instructions is customized for a phone model. The list is large, so your phone may well be included.

If not, the same information is usually included in your owner's manual. Look under phone settings or security. Most phones will clear contacts or reset the memory in one shot.

Don't forget the SIM card. You may have stored data on it. The tiny card may be tucked away under the phone's battery. Remove and discard it.

Now you can safely recycle the phone. Most cellular providers offer recycling services. You may be able to bring your phone into a store. You can also sell your phone through eBay or other auction sites.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop laughing.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Thank's for the tip Dreamer...I cringed when I read it though cause of all the phones I have already discarded. I have one of those Samsung Razors now and wouldn't know where to begin.
Mike and Cyn

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My SIM card moves from phone to phone and I store everything on it so I don't have to enter all the numbers again. If somebody gets my old phone they may find my photos of trucks pretty boring though. I never thought about trying to erase them because I thought they'd move to the new phone on the card. They don't so now I don't have them and somebody may be laughing at what I take pictures of. This is good information though to get you to think about something that otherwise isn't considered.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After wiping that cell phone clean,consider donating it to charity.

My brother-in-law used to run a program like this for his church.They would turn them into" 911 only" phones for the needy.

Here is a link,but I don't know anything about them except they turned up on a Google search.

http://www.phones4charity.org/

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Redytrk,

That's the program I was talking about. Around here, I beleive it's the women's shelter (for domestic abuse) that takes them. I'm sure a local police department could give info also.

As you said, they are provided free to folks who otherwise would have no method of getting help, ie no phone etc. They carry them 24/7, and they are programmed only to call 911.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,

You grow old because you stop laughing.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I think if you dont have a service for a cell phone i think that it can dial 911 but that is it.

Me usually i just have fun taking them apart to see whats inside :D