EO Healthy Self Online Support Group

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Reading these Trucking Fit & Fit to Live threads gets me thinking about organizing an online support group that would help expediters and other truckers produce and maintain their desired fitness results. It's one thing to share an idea or read a helpful post here and there. It would be something far more beneficial if people had a consistent place to go online and a known group of supportive fitness-interested friends to interact with every day.

We see flashes of that dynamic in this forum. A formerly organized group takes this to the next level.

There are numerous nutrition and exercise apps that can be used for this as well as community resources like a private Facebook group or maybe even an EO forum dedicated to this cause.

In our gym, people who have workout buddies get great support from each other and it often makes a difference in the frequency and intensity of their workouts. When a member's gym usage drops, Diane and I reach out to that person and they often return because of the friendly nudge. People often do better when they are not in it alone.

Some fitness apps have group sharing features so online friends can share daily what they are eating and doing to achieve their fitness goals. With all of us carrying smart phones, it seems to me that people who wish to do so could literally carry their fitness group with them in their pocket, which could be very handy and uplifting when you sit down for a meal or think about how you are going to satisfy your hunger in the next hour.

On your daily walk you could pick it up a bit and then share with the group what you did as you are catching your breath. When you have a mental breakthrough or new idea that makes it easier for you to resist that sweet snack or better understand your slip, you can share it for the benefit of others in the group. When someone in the group is discouraged because of a slip, you can offer the understanding space for him or her to speak into and encouraging words to help that person move forward.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even those who don't have a "group" mentality, could benefit from the competition of having a buddy or group to be accountable to. Although I'm not trying to lose weight, as seems to be the goal of many, I do want to be as healthy as possible out here. Exercising and eating well are my main goals.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Even those who don't have a "group" mentality, could benefit from the competition of having a buddy or group to be accountable to. Although I'm not trying to lose weight, as seems to be the goal of many, I do want to be as healthy as possible out here. Exercising and eating well are my main goals.

As an expediter who exercises, you could add a lot to the group. You could share the techniques you use on the road that others could learn. Holding yourself up as an example may itself create the accountability you seek and provide additional motivation to exercise and eat well.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the S Health app on my phone. I use it to track a lot of my goals , like 10,000 steps a day, my caloric intake , etc. It is a pretty handy app to have at my fingertips. As I type this , I am walking circles around my truck, adding to my daily 10,000 steps (thanks @TeamCaffee )

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like a good idea. Sometimes just being able to "brag" a little about accomplishments or get a little support when we fall can make all of the difference.