Entering the Business #2

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Does not include Health Care, and for 401 or Sep thats a personal choice (one I hope you can afford) but net take home. I know to many drivers out here making past 60K a year take home but have obligations that they are skipping health care. Many though in therir defense have a prior condition that it is just not feasible.

This is just people entering the business with the potential or so called potential. I refered to owning or purchasing ones truck, but put your expierence as to what you have seen vs what is reality with out telling on yourself for divulging on oneself.

Sure Teams lets hear it, married or two strangers, Van operators and D-Units.

If your gona take the time to be self employed and be responsible for SS, health care if you choose etc.. etc.. Should you not be rewarded with at least 50K? Should 50 be the bare min before I would say I am outta here? I could survive on less but the 401 would have to go and than the health insurance (nice point earlier).

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well I'am running under two of your catagories, married and strangers. :+ I would have to say you should do as a team at least 75k if Mr. Murphy does not act up to much. But that will require staying in service around 80%, if you are not running for a percentage. I guess I have on those rose colored glasses.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think alot of your question depends on what part of the country one lives. For many, $50,000 isn't enough while some would think $30,000 is a great job or opportunity.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
In General most of us live in an affordable area, Eastern NY, PA down to Ohio, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, KY, TN, GA, SC, NC, do not see many MD, DE, VA, RI, VT, NH. See more TX than those rich states combigned so with that said????

Plus let face the facts, living close to DC, Philly, NYC, our income potential even at 70K a year would leave us in Poverty.

Reactions: JPJ enterprise

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For people considering expediting careers, it will be instructive to talk to a company or two that hires company drivers and offers a full benefit package. Learn the details and compare them to the opportunities expediting provides; as well as the advantages and disadvantages of self-employment.

One of the wisest drivers I ever met on the road said of himself, "I suck as an owner-operator." He tried it, failed, learned his lesson, and was then happily employed as a company driver and delighted with the relationship he had with his employer. "Know thyself" is a time-honored bit of advice. This man did.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Thats great he realized his weakness. This is an Expediting Board, I do not know of a single Employed Person in this industry driving an Expeditor Truck. This is what makes this Forum Site so Unique, we are all self employed and share a great common thread with that.

But the Pitfalls of self employment, leaves one with many problems if one is not prepared which from my reading over the past two and half years is alot of us. Taxes alone, its now that time of year for all those people who entered into this business last year realizing that the next two to three months will be soley devoted to only paying Uncle Sam.

So back to my point, many are not finacial prepared for such a committment and fall behind never to catch up. Others see this as a great way to make a lot of $ which it can be once one masters the art of handling ones finances.

But face the real facts, there is $ to be made in this. But it is also an Industry not on the upswing. Kinda like the Auto Industry. See my POINT, yes there are alot of Nitch markets, not many owners or people entering this business can afford Lift Gates, Refers, Etc.... Heck today I just saw an Expeditor Truck that if was worth 3K would have been stretching it, maybee my observation is incorrect but if they could have afforded more I am sure they would have. Barley surviving I guess so, so how long till they drop out? We have all wittnessed many entering and exiting this in the last year, remember the Lawyer thought for sure he would make it have not seen a post on going on a year (Mike?).

If the $ is just not there driving someone elses truck, than why offer it up as a suggestion? I am refering to solos or strangers as teams. I just do not get why one would suggest cement shoes to try this business out to see if the shoe fits?. Go ahead Pssy foot (kitty) around my post make it sound as though well I really do not understand since I started out with the potential to survive a downfall, but its OK to pony up and suggest to newbees that the chances are good you will not survive but heck thats better than risking your own capitol when the committment or OH MY Gosh my capitol has gotta work or else.

I am just saying this without going on and on, if your gona do something than do it 100% if it fails well you tried and gave it your all. But to just try this where so many have failed and cry on this site about the abuse of an Owner or ones own mistakes doomed you than why in the world would one enter into a business with people like me writing things like this?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Just to make a quick note on the insurance issue , many self-employed people have a working spouse that is covered with an employer provided health plan . For many that spousal income is necessary for survival . (Remember that guys. Ya better treat 'er right :D )