Engine swap

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Anyone know what's the pros and cons of swapping the MBE 900 to the MBE 4000 in a straight truck.Any info will be appreciated. Truck is a Sterling Acttera.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Yep that's the bad. Talked via phone with my shop I use he said swapping to another manufacture the wiring and plumbing would be a big cost. He's checking about the big MBE engine.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
we have the 4000 mbe and mine has been flawless. the problem you are going to have is size. dont think the hood of the acterra will work with the big mercedes. the 3000 series allison, if thats what you have will be an issue also. its not built to handle the 1500 ftlb. of torque the 4000 puts out plus the the 4000 series allison is a much larger transmission so swapping one in will create an issue also !!!!!!!!!

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
The trans was the next thing in the call was to go to the bigger trans. knew the hood would have to go plus we will have to raise cab also to accept the engine. thanks for the info.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't it be easier to swap trucks ?
This might be OK if you had your own shop and it was a project you could play with in your spare time..
If you're paying a shop to do it, I'd have to think VERY hard.
I have zero MBE experience, so I can't predict the obstacles. What happens if 1/2 way through you find an insurmountable obstacle? Can you afford to eat it and go back to square one ?

You're smart to be doing research.,I'd search until I found someone who has done this once or twice.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
The trans was the next thing in the call was to go to the bigger trans. knew the hood would have to go plus we will have to raise cab also to accept the engine. thanks for the info.

swap in a C9 cat. should fit right in there and the trans, if its an allison, will work. i am with zorry on this one, swap trucks !!!!!!!!!

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Yep pretty much will swap trucks,just wondering about the engine cause I was thinking of using it like you said project. But I think I have found something else to do with trk. Thanks again for the info. Your right get info before u start.