End of Era..Detroiter Joins Pilot

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Not sure if anyone posted this but shop manger just told me today..
By the end of Aug of this year we will see Pilot signs here.
For all you OLD folks ya better hurry up here and get 1 more day of reminiscing in.
He states they are going to try to keep the set up they currently have with store and they shop. A few other shops will join in such as Subway (of course) and some sort of a Jerky shop. I have allways been treated well in this shop for the few times I have used em and I hope at this point they stay in operation because we all know what the Pilot can do to a truck stop..

The Werner yard behind the Detroiter is also in the process of moving out..Wonder what the Big plan for this intersection maybe?

(If this is Old news feel free to delete post.)

Monty

Expert Expediter
I would wonder, is Pilot simply going to be the fuel billing company? Since there are 3 Pilot's between the Detroiter and the Ohio stateline? Makes no sense to add another Pilot "full service" facility up there.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Yes fuel insland are becoming Pilot..News is so new to employees here they dont even know the whole story yet..Sounds like current owner is going to keep (try) what he has going????

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Switched at Altoona Ia the other night. Went into the old Bosselmans-now Pilot. Felt very sad.That was a nice place prior to Pilot.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think it's great. It used to be that when you bought fuel, any amount, you got a $2 shower. Then they changed it to 50 gallons. Now I can buy fuel there and get a free shower, instead of driving 15 miles down the road.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I would wonder, is Pilot simply going to be the fuel billing company? Since there are 3 Pilot's between the Detroiter and the Ohio stateline? Makes no sense to add another Pilot "full service" facility up there.

Using Pilot and full service in the same sentence is quite funny really. Isn't that kind of like jumbo shrimp?

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Seems Pilot is out to Rule the fuel Diesel biz, there used to be many Mom and Pop shops with great food, 24 hour order from the menu kitchens, bakerys, Fruit, and small gift and chrome shops, now its all being replaced with the exact same thing SODA AND CANDY, and small assortment of road goods, it is the end of an era in that the Family run truck stop is almost completely gone, along with the service and smiles, and best food.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pilots popping up all along I80 thru Iowa...buying the mom and pop operations out...

a NEW Pilot on the south side of Sioux City Iowa is almost done on I29.....:)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think it's great. It used to be that when you bought fuel, any amount, you got a $2 shower. Then they changed it to 50 gallons. Now I can buy fuel there and get a free shower, instead of driving 15 miles down the road.

Exactly. The Detroiter may have been a great place 15-20 years ago. Currently, imo, its just a place to drive past unless you want to overpay for fuel, showers and parking. The showers are nothing worth paying for either. As low on the scale as I consider Pilot...this will probably be an upgrade.

As for their being 2 other Pilots between the Detroiter and Toledo, the others are even further away from Detroit and they are both small. The Detroiter would actually be a good place for Pilot to put in a large, full service truckstop.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've parked there a lot, lot, lot over the last 3-4 years. Never had a problem of any kind. I simply drive through the pumps, right past the booth where big trucks pay to park, wave at the guard as I pass, and park in the very back in front of the concrete wall separating the main lot from the Werner lot, right where they want me to park.

If I parked out front where it says "Cars and RVs only - No Expediters", where they don't want me parking, then I'd probably have a problem.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
opel wrote:

I'm glad that Pilot buys it.

I am bettin Pilot is not buying it..just taking over the fuel and gas pumps in partenership with the current owners..id be willing to bet the building won't change much...and management will still be the same....and every minor upgrades...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It was quite the place in it's day. I can remember as a kid my grandfather had his trucking companies office on the second floor. I used to go to work with my dad on weekends and hang out all over that place. I lived real close and used to take my future wife and in laws there on Sunday morning as they had a great breakfast buffet, and let me tell you for a little guy my father in law can pack it away. Lot's of great memories in that place. Our first Expo was the last one they had there. We had just started into expedite and no one knew us other than being the company that sponsored Joey Holiday when he performed.

It might be a franchise set up where Pilot only controls the fuel? I think this would be great as we don't have a major chain in the area without going all the way to Monroe or Dexter.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My first expo was the last one there, too - and no one knew who I was either, lol.
I haven't been there much since, [pay to park? No thanks!] except to buy books - I hope they keep selling them.
Now, even a Pilot would be nice in that long stretch north of Detroit....

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We're actually sitting here now...YUK...this place has really gone downhill fast! We haven't been here since before the old restaurant closed. Pay to park, pot hole central for a parking lot, 3.00 for a thermos of coffee??? The only thing left is the books...and if Pilot takes over, those will be gone...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is really a shame. I haven't been there for over three years now. Going north of I40 is bad for my health.:cool:

vanman10x2

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Went to Detroiter a couple months ago, I live in Monroe, what a mess of a truck stop it has turned into. Even Pilot will be an upgrade. And to comment on an earlier post about the great Bosselman in IA, last time I was there it was almost as bad asworse the Detroiter.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk