Empty weights, life expectancy, class 7 vs 8

klkpro

Expert Expediter
I was wondering about anyones experience with expeditor trucks and unloaded weights is. I have been shopping around for an expeditor type of truck, because it would suit my opperation well, but I am not and don't plan on being in the trucking business. I do production work and would like that type of truck for my company because I do alot of traveling. My ideal truck setup would be a 70-80 inch sleeper with enough room for a fridg and microwave and some storage, with a 24 foot 102" van body with a roll up door and a rail gate with a fairly large platform. Many of the trucks I look at are FL70's with a 3126 cat and 12k front/21k rear and various other equipment. Also how much can be gained with lightweight options such as aluminum wheels and stuff?

I have heard that alot of drivers are signed on as owner/opperators with companies and at a certain point and time they require you to get a new or newer truck? Is this true and at what point and time does that happen. Also what is the normal life expectancy for these trucks and there components in OTR service. It would be good for me to get some of this info upfont. I plan on doing about 40-50k miles a year as opposed to an expeditor (100k+?).

Some poeple have encouraged me to look at class 8 trucks and tractors as opposed to class 7. The reason usually given is better drivetrain components and longer life expectancy. Some poeple consider the 3126 cat, 5.9, and 8.3 cummins engines I see in lots of these trucks to be "throw away" engines and tell me to get into a m-11 cummins or something like that. The problem is that those combinations are always more money than I want to spend and I kind of like some of the higher output 3126's that I've driven. I also have a brother in deisel mechanic school for the next year and a half or so who might need a prodject.

Realisticly my budjet to put a truck on the road equiped as listed above is 20-25k. I think at that price I could write the expence off over 3 years or so and if the truck would hold up longer than that that would be great(I think?).

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Sorry this message got so long.

Thanks
Karl

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
klk, click on the classified ad link on the home page, there are several used trucks listed that might be what you are looking for. DD

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
KLK, I don’t drive the trucks but I do know the O/O’s have to replace their equipment about every 5 or 7 years depending how well they take care of their trucks, and how good a talker they are. If you know what I mean. Weave must be out on a trip or 2, but when he gets back in he will jump on this Q. He can give you all the answers to the Q’s you are asking. Their are also many other members that can help you with your answers. Hang in there if you have the time.

klkpro

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the replys, and I look forward to hearing from Weave. I had some time today and looked back at random related topics in the last 5 pages (would look back further as time allows) and find the postings to be informative and the mood to be upbeat with a good sence of humor.

I was in chicago this last weekend and had rented a truck to see what I may or may not like. I also took some different gear out on a trial that was all truck pack, which was very cool. The truck I rented was a 2003 Sterling with a 210 horse Mercedes and a 6 speed automatic (Allison?), spring suspension, lift gate, and a 24' van body on a non CDL (25,500) truck. It ran down the road ok, It topped out at 77 mph at 2500 which I believe to be about a 5.12 rear(?) or so, and I kind of ran the crap out of it most of the time (my foot stayed on the floor alot, especially on the way home) and I had some city driving for pickup and dropoff stuff and my mileage for 850 miles was 7.62. I topped off the tank befor I left, and did similar befor I returned it today so my figures should be reasonably accurate; although not impressive at all. Also one of my purposes for trying out a truck was to figure out how much weight I may want to carry. The empty wieght with a full tank (80 gal) and driver was 15,460 and the loaded weight with 5/8 tank mid trip was 26,600 (woops) I'm guessing I was hauling close to 11,500. One of the thing I want to do is leave room to expand, and I wasn't even hauling any of the notoriously heavy stuff like chain motors and rigging equipment! Maybe I need to look harder at class 8 trucks or tags and stuff. Which brings me to a new set of questions: How much does a lift tag cost, and how much does it weigh? Also, what about a twin skrew setup, as in a streched tractor, what are the benifits and drawbacks, and is the mobility better with the inter-axle and diff locks in limited traction situations. Some of the events that I do occasionally involve some off road and poor traction load-in/out locations, and the majority of my current travel is in the winter across the upper midwest in all weather conditions. I also know that I want an air ride truck, but an air ride cab and sleeper sounds like a nice option that seems common on tractors. A local dealer told me it would take about 30k to set me up with a strech with a used van body and a rail lift like I need. I am going to test drive one tomorow before I leave town again. I beleive Weave has a 12.7 detroit in his rig and still gets 11+? I am also interested in any specific engine tranny or rear end ratio combinations that would work good for my aplication or would most OTR tractor combos work well?

I just don't know, so I will defer to the experts.

Thanks
Karl

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
class 8's are usually better than 7's. We have a T300 which is kind of in the middle. It is a class 7 but with most components being class 8. Same deal with a 330 pete. 11 mpg. or better is not likely out of a class 8. The best I have ever heard of is around 8 under ideal circumstances. Even a bobtail tractor would struggle to average anything close to that. Too bad though as ones owned in the past didn't break 7 mpg.

klkpro

Expert Expediter
What mileage would one expect to get bobtailing with a single axle high condo tractor with an M11 (330), a rockwell 10 speed over and a 3.73 ratio with 295/75r22.5 tires?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can say without a doubt my class 8 Columbia (S60 360 HP, 10 Speed) gets over 10 MPG on the highway, about the same as my FL70 did, but the difference is the Columbia has some power.
-Weave-

G

I have a Century Class condo with the 12.7 detroit. The computer showed 8mpg on the bobtail delivery trip. I would expect about the same from the M11.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Once your truck is together Arky, you can (well, your Detroit Diesel shop can) downrate the HP for better mileage. You didn't mention your S60's HP, it should be on a label on the left side of the valve cover, for an '00 it's probably the very common 470. I would stop by your local Detroit shop with your engine number, and see what has been done to it in the past, they keep track of this on their computers. For instance, if it has been rebuilt by a Detroit shop, (Being a Penske truck) they will know this. Reason I mention that is I would not expect an unrebuilt S60 with 800k miles to get the mileage that I am getting with my engine that only has 250k on it, regardless if the HP is turned down. You can also stop by Freightliner with your truck's SN and see what has been done there.
This is important for recalls, etc.
-Weave-

G

thx for the tip Weave. I've been intending to take vin# in and get an owner's maual anyway, I'll have them check this out too. Btw, it's a 430/470 h.p., but I'm sure it's not been turned down. As I understand it, 430 h.p. on the pedal...470 h.p. with cruise.