Employer STEALS my last two checks. Who do I contact?

eklektek

Active Expediter
Please advise this driver on which govt. agency he can contact to report an employer/contractor that he drove for and after quitting said contractor failed to pay this driver his last two weeks of work. In other words, he stole my money! Since I don't live in Michigan, where the contractor lives and I have to stay on the road working it's rather difficult to go to small claims court, that and the fact that the contractor made sure not to provide his address, although he certainly wanted all of my statistical information. {NAME DELETED - Turtle}

Last edited by a moderator:

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry to hear, im sure you have to file in the home state not sure if hes with panther i would expect no less ive heard this to many times i cant beleive that panther wont even help u out with an address on thes mook next time you will be wiser im sure i to worked for someone who had ahabit of doing this i went home on time off after spending to much time waiting for truck to be repaired [everyweek] i waited for my last ck. To show and gave notice i already had a new truck lined up took his truck back and left it where he wanted it end of story,
he tryed unsucesssfuly to sue for loss of revenue my lawyer and i had a good laugh goes to show what goes around comes around.

Tomtom

Active Expediter
Are you a contractor or an employee? If an employee (not likely in this business) then you file with the state EOC.

If contractor, you would need to go to court. Small claims likely.

But if you want to try and get your money and a pound of flesh, I would file with EOC and put this guy and the carrier he runs for on the radar of the state agency.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Well......if your paycheck was STOLEN by this Man.....then he committed a Criminal Act.

Have you called the Cops yet???

Just tryin' to be helpful................:)

rockytopman2

Seasoned Expediter
Give this a try. File for unemployment where you live. They will track down the owner to determine if you are an employe or a contractor. The reason I say this is because I had a Real Estate office in North Carolina and allowed a newly licensed Agent to come in the office to learn how the Real Estate business operates. A couple months later I decided to close the office to move to TN. A short time later I received a letter from NC that this lady had filed for unemployment and was granted based on the fact that she claimed to have used the equipment (in the office, (i.e. typewriter, phone, computer, etc), although she had not listed, sold or rented any properties or generated any income. It is worth a try. Another option is go to your local Sheriffs Office any swear out a warrant for theft. You must document your claim. Good luck and God Bless.

Last edited:

RPMTIL2050

Seasoned Expediter
This guy had his fleet owner not pay him for runs. He never had the money he says the owner stole from him. Fact is that he was not paid lease commissions not a pay check. It is a civil suit to be brought. If he doesn't have a written contract that states specifically how commissions are earned he will lose his case. I operate multiple units and have a written agreement that many drivers feel is too much for them. It specifically states how commissions are earned and what penalties accrue. I had matoda723 say it is unfriendly. Well how unfriendly did this driver feel when his two checks didn't show. You guys need to wise up and quit getting laid out by these fleet owners. Get it in writing.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Join OOIDA. call their legal folks who will call the offending owner. The owner may be spurred to action. If not go to www.ripoffreports.com and write a juicy essay about the dirtbag and name names. He cannot get your post erased. Neither can you. So choose a pen name.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Whoever your carrier is knows his or her address. They have his bank account information and federal ID number (EIN) also. He won't be hard to track down if the carrier is willing to cooperate. You don't need a lawyer, they can't do anything you can't do yourself except cost you more money. It may not be worth it to pursue it at all. If you can find an inexpensive way to get to Michigan or you get a load going that way by all means file in Small Claims court in his county. It isn't hard at all and only costs a few bucks. You probably won't even need to appear the day it goes to court. If the scumbag doesn't show up you will get an automatic judgement for the amount you sue for. With that judgement you can attach his bank account and, assuming he gets his settlements in that account, you can get your money. Another way is to monitor his account daily ( with a judgement you can call the bank and request to know if there is enough to cover it anytime) and zap his account as soon as it is there. It will take some work but you can do it if you are diligent.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Devil's advocate here - what is the other side of the story? What exactly did the driver sign upon taking the job?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
It's unfortunate you have been beat out of two pay checks, what ever the amount is. BUT if you went to work for a STRANGER with out a CONTRACT your to blame as much as he is.
No offence just my opinion.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Please advise this driver on which govt. agency he can contact to report an employer/contractor that he drove for and after quitting said contractor failed to pay this driver his last two weeks of work. In other words, he stole my money! Since I don't live in Michigan, where the contractor lives and I have to stay on the road working it's rather difficult to go to small claims court, that and the fact that the contractor made sure not to provide his address, although he certainly wanted all of my statistical information. {NAME DELETED - Turtle}

You agreed to work for someone who wouldn't give you his address, and you're surprised he wouldn't pay you either? And you believe he was your employer, too?
I'm guessing you have no written contract, in which case your best contact number would be Dial a Prayer, I think.
Sorry, but when you don't trouble to protect yourself from scammers and dishonest people, you get burned.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
You agreed to work for someone who wouldn't give you his address, and you're surprised he wouldn't pay you either? And you believe he was your employer, too?
I'm guessing you have no written contract, in which case your best contact number would be Dial a Prayer, I think.
Sorry, but when you don't trouble to protect yourself from scammers and dishonest people, you get burned.

Woweee! Some compassionate liberal you are!!!

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
As Much as I hate to say this; I am Glad I am no Longer in the Expediting Business. 2 of the 4 Fleet Owners I Ended Up Driving for REFUSED to Pay Me My Final Wages I EARNED! The One Fleet Owner I was Contracted to Drive For Owes Me Over $900.00. Whereas the Last Fleet Owner I Drove For Owes Me Over $700.00. Chances are I Will NEVER See 1 Nickel of that Money I EARNED!