Employee's Say No to UAW

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It was closer than I would have thought.
VW played neutral. Yeah. We'll expand IF you don't go union.

That's pretty neutral. :)

As a long time union member, a union is not needed when management is reasonable and fair.

I'd rather work for a decent non union company than a crappy union company.
And I do.

I just turned down the opportunity to be put on a nationwide hiring list of the biggest union car hauler in the country.
Paying about $350 per week into the pension plan per driver. And top medical.

Happy right where I'm at.

If I was younger I might look at things differently.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good deal for VW....by working with the union, it showed its record for employee treatment stood on its own .....and employees had little to gain by going union, except to pay too high union dues. it makes no sense to give the union the 50 bucks a month and then fight the company just to break even....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I didn't follow this but wonder why the vote was as close as it was.

Because VW is labor-friendly in Germany, and they let the UAW right into the plant to campaign, virtually endorsing the union. Something like 80% of VW's board in Germany have labor ties. The 'if you don't go union we'll expand' thing never happened, and is an invention of the union, which backfired.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL! NO problem! Beer is cool!
Cool%20BTL%26amp%3BGlass%26amp%3BKeghr.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since we have a place in TN, I think this may fit their thinking.
bilde

zorry

Veteran Expediter
what were expecting?.....landslide which way?

I expected more non-union votes.

Modern union companies can be productive and profitable.
The union, which people have to understand is a business, not a human rights organization, is often pretty reasonable and co-operative.

Hard to be in the older UAW plants where generation after generation has grown up with bad, anti-productive, ideas. And where there's hostility in the work place.

You don't get much more productive than a UPS man.
They are richly rewarded.
They work very hard.
In 1996 my Roadway bid paid me $1400 per week. Basically 6 days one week, 4 days the next week. We worked hard.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I expected more non-union votes.

Modern union companies can be productive and profitable.
The union, which people have to understand is a business, not a human rights organization, is often pretty reasonable and co-operative.

Hard to be in the older UAW plants where generation after generation has grown up with bad, anti-productive, ideas. And where there's hostility in the work place.

You don't get much more productive than a UPS man.
They are richly rewarded.
They work very hard.
In 1996 my Roadway bid paid me $1400 per week. Basically 6 days one week, 4 days the next week. We worked hard.

Remember Tn is a swing state now.....big cities are generally liberal leaning....