Emergency Dental Help on the Road....

BIGDOG

Expert Expediter
We just wanted to pass along some important information. We
found out the hard way there isn't much out there as far as medical/dental help away from home unless you go to a
hospital emergency room.$$$ I got a toothache on Sat. and
thought I could hold out until Mon. to try to find a Dentist.
Well Sun. night we were in a Hospital emergency room looked
like I had a grapefruit stuck in my cheek. They gave me a script. for penicillin. Had a load going to Memphis and unloaded
Tue. We went to the Petro in West Memphis and out
front there was a Dental Office and I wasn't any better.
Well come to find out this Dentist set up a practice for Truck Drivers. She also has a contact at the University of
Tennessee Dental School for more serious problems
which she refered me to as my tooth had already been
crowned and needed root surgery. She is very knowledgable
and extremly helpful to the Trucking Industry along with being resonably priced. For my office visit and x-ray the total was $40.00. I am seriously thinking about making her my
primary Dentist even though I am out of Michigan. I would be willing to come back here for the follow-up treatment.
Just thought you might want to know. There is also a number
you can call, 1-800-DENTIST and they search a radius from
where your located. They couldn't help us in Philly that's
the reason for Hospital trip.

Bigdog (Randy & Patty)
FedEx Custom Critical

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bigdog,

Glad to hear that there was a Dentist on location to help you. I have wondered why we don't see more of this with Doctors having Truck Stops as one of their offices.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hey BigDog. She helped me out on one occasion. I would have been in some really deep pain if her office hadn't been so convenient.

There is also a place near the Meijer's in Woodhaven, MI that will do emergency dental work, too. But be careful. They get really angry if you scream when they jab the needle into the most sensitive area of your mouth with no regard to the pain you are already in. But, the tooth came out nicely after I cleaned up my pants.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If your really in pain, business hours. I found a dentist once that did some temporary emergency on me. Ask you might be suprised, dentist are generally great people to turn to when an emergency comes up.

Been there and it worked, ask. Crying just a little helps to....

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
No pain No pain

When your out in the field and on assigment you learn to live with the pain till you can get to Medical. There are times you dont have a choice. Been there and done that more than one occasion.

God Bless ya you found some one to take care of ya.

What ever ya do dont ever eat the Beef Steak in an MRE
I bit down and boke two back teeth, it was hard as a rock
get the pic.

2 weeks latter I got them capped. NO Pain No Gain whoo raaaa

Kev

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
I really feel for ya.There is nothing worse than a toothache.
6 years ago i went and had the remaining 18 teeth i had left yanked out.Got fitted with a full set of dentures and have not been happier.
Took 6 months to get used to them.But i never have to worry about a TOOTHACHE ever again.

Mike
Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hi BigDog, glad you found help for your tooth and we will sure keep that in mind. Hope you and Patty are doing well.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, BigDog, for the info - having a medical or dental emergency on the road can be one of the hardest times for us. But we are pretty resourceful, or we wouldn't last long, right? I once accepted a load from Ohio to Miami Beach - no way I was missing that one, even with stitches in my mouth that were scheduled to come out in two days. I thought "I've taken out my own stitches before, no big deal", and I was halfway across the state before it ocurred to me that it's REAL dark inside your mouth - what if I missed a few? Luckily, it wasn't a weekend, and I found a dentist's office where I could park a t/t, and when it's an emergency, most are happy to help, really.
It is surprising that there aren't more services located near the truckstops, really - especially considering that we can pay for what we need, mostly. The panhandlers figured it out, maybe the medical professionals will too, lol.;)