Electronic logs

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Do you carry a printer in your truck to print for a dot inspector or can you email or electronic fax the log sheets to them for inspection ?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
We dont carry a printer. Our Omnitracs MCP200 have an option to email or fax 8 days worth of logs. Never had to use it though. When I got a roadside inspection the dude just looked at the screen.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: RoadTime

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a printer/ scanner, and use it all the time. But I have never had to print logs reports( I do download my log reports each month, but have not had the need to print them yet.). Each time an officer wanted to see my logs, he just looked at the screen and scrolled for what he wanted to see. Like FlyingVan , I have the Omnitracs MCP200. It has email and fax capabilities built in.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Question I've wanted to ask for awhile. With cell phones and email why do some have to print, scan, fax etc? I see guys using scanners in truckstops when others just use transflo on phone?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I met a guy who got a 250.00 ticket in ga, the other day cause he couldn't print them at an inspection , nor would they accept email, or fax from his carrier! He's going to fight it, but will probably spend more time and money doing that.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Logs? For sprinters?
There no Hos I went 1250miles straight pretty much yesterday :)

The world has more than just sprinters ya know, and by the way, 1250 miles non stop make me think your dangerous !

There are drives offered that are 20hrs and they want in 24 rated team but u gonna sit 3 days or take it and load up on stok coffee shots lol
I slept 3 hours on the way to Iowa then got a direct right when offloaded from next door

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We have been all Elog for two years and never had any issue. The driver can email or have them auto faxed. Never had any tickets or issues with inspectors on it.

ucfd608

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I figured he got a smart ass inspector who just wanted to puff his chest!

There are a few quite a few of them at scale houses in ga an up in north ga there is an older officer who is a complete a@$ he wants to write you for anything

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that is why you should join ooida, when i had my western star had a ooida sticker on both sides and on back
it save alot of time. one of my egl follow drivers at time was stop by a dot trooper , going on base at naval station norfolk,va
my friend asked why you stop me, said you don't belong to ooida, so he joined

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Question I've wanted to ask for awhile. With cell phones and email why do some have to print, scan, fax etc? I see guys using scanners in truckstops when others just use transflo on phone?

Good question. I suppose everyone has their own way of doing things. I'm not on a true EOBR that is tied into my truck's ECM. But I do have Driver's Daily Logs software on my laptop and that's what I've logged on for years. There was a time when you had to have your previous 8 days printed off or you would automatically get a ticket.

I don't think that ever applied to EOBR but it did to the various software like DDL that I use. That rule was changed and now you only need to have the ability to print logs off on demand. Of course not every DOT officer got the memo on that. Sometimes you have to teach those guys the rules.

I don;t use any of the services in a truckstop. They're expensive and my company doesn't pay for them. I carry a printer/scanner in the truck with me. All of my paperwork is scanned and emailed from the cab.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An OTR big-rig driver came in to use our gym a couple days ago. He recently changed carriers to one that is totally paperless and he was thrilled about it. NO PAPERWORK!, he exclaimed. His electronic logging is done with his Qualcom unit. All other paperwork, including BOL signatures, is done on his mobile phone.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are drives offered that are 20hrs and they want in 24 rated team but u gonna sit 3 days or take it and load up on stok coffee shots lol
I slept 3 hours on the way to Iowa then got a direct right when offloaded from next door
I think a lot of us Van drivers thought that way when we started. Then after a while we figured out what's really important and it isn't the miles.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think a lot of us Van drivers thought that way when we started. Then after a while we figured out what's really important and it isn't the miles.
Amen brother xiggi.....there is always another load......be safe this winter....:)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
An OTR big-rig driver came in to use our gym a couple days ago. He recently changed carriers to one that is totally paperless and he was thrilled about it. NO PAPERWORK!, he exclaimed. His electronic logging is done with his Qualcom unit. All other paperwork, including BOL signatures, is done on his mobile phone.

We did that years ago. ELD and scanners hooked to our satellite units.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Treadmill

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
All those miles and money, prefer short mile and big money
One time in Newport News every 4 hours made 2 mile round trip to a company and back at airport paid $240.00, at end of 5 day , a nice sum of money