EDR

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Intereting article today on the homepage headlines about Event Data Recorders installed in cars without the knowledge of the owner. These recorders record mainly speed at the time of air bag deployment.

I spent several hours today at my dentists office and I read in Time Magazine how an incident in NY State shows the value of these recorders.Two poor misguided youths,one 19 and one 17 were drag racing in a town called Muttonhead NY, a suburb of NYC.The 19 year old had a brand new Mercedes Sports Coupe that his parents had given him. The 17 year old was driving a 2 year old Corvette that he received when he was old enough to drive.

They were drag racing and the Corvette hit a Jeep Cherokee with a woman and 2 childeren in it. All 3 were killed. The 2 boys claimed to be going only 50 mph and said the woman pulled in front of them. However the Event Recorder indicated that the Corvette was doing 139 MPH at the time of the air bag deloyment. Both boys are now doing 3-5 for Negligent Homocide. The father of the Corvette boy tried to get his son out of the charges by stating that had the boy known about the EDR he would not have driven so fast. Yeah right.

Since the 17 year old was still a minor the Husband of the killed woman sued the boys family and a major settlement was made as they knew no jury would exonerate them from fault.

So you kill a woman and her 2 children,you get 3-5 probably out in 18 months to go race again.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If I were the judge, they'd spend 20 years in prison, followed by 10 years of digging graves for everyone in their town who was killed by a reckless driver. And be required to assist the EMT's at accidents caused by reckless drivers. In their spare time, they could make public service announcements about how real life aint like the movies!