E450 Cube van vs Cargo van advice

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Considering buying the following for Expediting. Ran both types for 15 years so have no problem logging in E450. Wanted to spend 10-15K for a good used truck to get started then buy a Ford Transit, Dodge Ducato(Fiat) in a few years.

1) E450 Cube van Gvw 14,000
Advantages-Cargo carry 4000+ and space for loads and living
Disadvantages- Logging and scales
2) Van under Gvw 10,000
Advantages- No logging or scales, easy to get around. Fuel MPG.
Disadvantages- Too many already and smaller space.

Is it worth going bigger(E450) for the extra loads?

I know this question has been answered, but it also seems things change in this industry quite often so thanks for any advice.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless your carrier will pay you for that extra capacity (doubtful since its not dock level), that E450 will kill you on fuel. I'd be looking at a SRW 12' box truck. No logging and Sprinter rates. Plenty available too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Have to agree with Scott. Go with the under 10k if you don't want to log. Bad news is there are a ton of them out there. If you don't fear logging, go to a dock high straight truck.
The dock high requirement will gain you more loads than the weight issue.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The E 450 is not going to get you enough better loads to offset the fuel and the Scaling logging headaches...as was pointed out, not being dock high is your killer...The key to that truck is putting it in situation where they can bid small ST loads for you where they don't have ST coverage....but again the not being dock high limits you..

If you want to stay in the CV segment, then do as scott said, get a srw 12 ft cube a Cargo Max type van if thats not an optio, then what Steve said Buy ST's....

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
I did not think of the dock high part. Thanks everyone for the answers as this makes my decision easier. Probably will go with SRW and under 10,000 to start. Have some time still to learn, study but I guess only when I get out there will be able to decide 100% what is best for me.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I did not think of the dock high part. Thanks everyone for the answers as this makes my decision easier. Probably will go with SRW and under 10,000 to start. Have some time still to learn, study but I guess only when I get out there will be able to decide 100% what is best for me.

We run a couple of DRW cubes that are under 10K GVW and over. They do pretty well. We don't take SRW. Just DRW cubes with a minimum of 144 x 90 floor space. With an E450, you could probably do a tuckaway gate. You'd need to same model gate that go on the Isuzu NPRs, but it can be a money maker.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I ran a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 12' cube truck for a few years. I had the bed raised 4" so that it was 48" from the ground which is minimum for dock height. I also had jack stands put on the back to satisfy the "union" plants even though there was no way a fork lift was gonna drive on my truck. Made alot of money in it before fuel went through the roof and the economy crashed.