E350 CV bunks: What's working for you?

HighwayRover

Seasoned Expediter
I have been in a D unit with a sleeper for many years and am now setting up an E350 (extended) to use. Having read nearly all the CV threads here online, I still was wondering what's working best for you, and why?

As I see it there are 3 options:

1) Leave the rear cargo space open and ready for anything (positive plan) but sleep on a cold hard floor (not so good).

2) Build a light weight bunk area forward of the 8-1/2 foot mark or so, and enjoy being off the floor (sounds good to me).

3) Bulkhead the rear cargo area and have a sleeper area similar to the big trucks.

I'm sure a lot of personal preference comes into play and that old guys like me will lean towards the off ground bunk, but I'd still like to know what other E350 O/O are doing and how it's working out for you. I'm interested in your thoughts and advice. Thanks

paullud

Veteran Expediter
When I was running my E350 I had a soft rug and some bean bag chairs to sleep on, a fold up cot is probably the best choice though. Depending on how tall you are you can have it fold up towards the seats or into a wall so that it is within the width if the wheel well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One really good reason for getting the extended vans when you buy: You have that extra room for your bunk and still able to get two skids on. It's only 18 inches or so, but that extra 18 inches is huge when you don't have it in a standard van.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Use entire van for boyhood bus and personal use....

The area over the wheel wells has always been available for personal items and storage. Also the entire passenger seat area if you run solo...if your short enough to sleep sideways in the van then I'd recommend. A bed that folds up into a temp bulk head when loaded...

If your a tall guy then a bed that folds down from a side wall probably would be best....I have never seen the advantage of dedicated cargo space...we spend a lot of personal time in the van waiting for the next load....why spend all that time stuck in 18 to 24 inches of space....

A little imagination and creativity and the the van can convert from full cargo to full personal in less than 5 min...

God knows we have plenty of time on our hands to let our imaginations run wild...and plenty of advice and ideas can be found right here....we spend over 300 days a year out on the road...it IS home.

Use all space available to its full efficiency...

HighwayRover

Seasoned Expediter
Looks like I will have to rethink it all again. The open area is looking like the best all around choice now.
Thanks for all the input!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In a sprinter but had a dedicated bunk for years. Now one that folds up on the wall. Still off the floor and I like having the space when empty. My bed frame, matress, and slat base for matress all came from IKEA just cut off the legs and light headboard of the frame and it works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My bed has always been movable to allow full use of the cargo area when needed, but I have changed up how it all functions. Originally, I had a movable bulkhead at the 8-1/2' mark and the bed was forward of that unless the space was needed for freight, then everything could be moved, reconfigured as needed. I didn't like being limited to just that space when empty. So.... I took my lead from Moot's design.... which is simpler anyway. My bed is now immediately behind the seats. When I'm empty, I have full use of the entire van as personal area. When needed, the bed folds up against the back of the seats. I really like the set up I have now.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have been in a D unit with a sleeper for many years and am now setting up an E350 (extended) to use. Having read nearly all the CV threads here online, I still was wondering what's working best for you, and why?

As I see it there are 3 options:

1) Leave the rear cargo space open and ready for anything (positive plan) but sleep on a cold hard floor (not so good).

2) Build a light weight bunk area forward of the 8-1/2 foot mark or so, and enjoy being off the floor (sounds good to me).

3) Bulkhead the rear cargo area and have a sleeper area similar to the big trucks.

I'm sure a lot of personal preference comes into play and that old guys like me will lean towards the off ground bunk, but I'd still like to know what other E350 O/O are doing and how it's working out for you. I'm interested in your thoughts and advice. Thanks

I started out with a e-350 with a permanent sleeper that I built with 8' of cargo space left over. The sleeping area sucked, as I am a fluffy guy to begin with. Get a Pragma bed, and a memory foam matteress. that way you can stretch out and relax. Yes, you will lose the bed when loaded, but how many times do we sit with loads on the van to begin with? And if so, then ask for motel pay, ya never know. You'd be better off with a spartan body single rear wheel 12' van to begin with, where you can stand up and walk around, and carry 3 skids,. and if you have a 2 skid load, you can still have a bed side wall to side wall behind the seats, as the Spartan body is 76 inches wide inside, enough for a standard twin matteress

HighwayRover

Seasoned Expediter
It has all been great advice, Thanks to everyone for the replies.

A also, Merry Christmas! I hope the new year will be prosperous for us all!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The trouble I have found with cots is they are not made for everyday use even the more expensive tend to get loose joints etc over time. If your a heaveir person the canvas tends to stretch. Remember they tend to be built for weekend camping trips not night after night of use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm heavier than I'd like to be. I looked at a few of them and bought one that looked not cheap. It lasted for a couple of years. It should work out to less than 20 cents per night to sleep not on the floor, perhaps half that or less depending on how gentle or tough one is on it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
FWIW, when I had my short wheelbase Ford E-350 I used an air mattress. It was a double-height twin bed from Walmart. $35 or so. I used the Coleman AC/DC pump to pump it up. Took 3 or 4 minutes to pump it up, and less than 1 minutes to deflate it and fold it up. Only downside was that I had to replace it every 3 months or so because it would wear out, or get a hole in it from a splinter on the plywood deck. Slept on top of with in a sleeping bag. It was extremely comfortable.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Slept on top of with in a sleeping bag. It was extremely comfortable.

63.jpg

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I had an air mattress in my first van...it was easy to set up and fill, and was extremely comfortable...only down side was air portal was located at sliding door so that outside air was used to fill it....

A little chilly if you jumped right into bed....

It's a good option for the solo driver...couples may not like though...pretty easy to send your significant other flying off the bed....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a "twin" Size bed metal bed frame welded out of angle iron..topped with 1/2 " plywood that is hinged and folds up and runs the length of the drivers side of the van..only bad part. More than 1 skid and its not usuable

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator