E-Book reader, anyone?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am saving up for an E-Book reader, I have used the Sony prs 505 and 700, the Kindle and more recently the iLiad. The iLiad is the one I like because it is Linux based, the one I had has 802.11b, and a USB port but the cost is a lot more than the others.

I read a lot and this is the only way I can see saving space.

Anyone own one of these things or thining about getting one?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I started with a Sony 505 and switched to a Kindle. The Kindle offers a lot more free ebooks plus the wireless delivery. The new Kindle has the advantage of better button design. I've got 155 ebooks for it so far at an average cost of $1.138 per. Check out our ebook site at Gab about e-Books if you want to.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Greg, I just bought my Kindle and I love it. I am amazed at the free books and I had no idea the books would immediately appear the minute I ordered one from Amazon. The selection is great! I don't know a lot about all the details of these things but with the new Kindle I can adjust the size of the type and I can put my headset on listen to any of the books if I don't want to read.

Like you, I read A LOT! I can't see carrying around all those books anymore and dealing with them. I love the light weight and the convenience of the reader. I recently had three books going at once and each time I selected a book the reader took me right back to where I left off. Very cool!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have the Sony E Reader and really like it but I still cannot resist the bargain book tables. The only thing that disappointed me was the cost of the books on the e - reader. There are many things I like about the e-reader is how clear the words are, the ease of downloads, and how easy it is to carry in the truck. It is very easy for me to read a book and for Bob to read the same book or a different and we each bookmark our own page when finished.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
The Kindle _rocks_. I read 77 books on mine last year, all of them at very low prices. Probably paid for the reader right there.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Everyone with an ereader or considering buying an ereader please join us on Gab about e-Books and help us grow the best book site on the web. These devices are great and we're trying to build an equally great forum for them.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Ok, I pay from 15 to 30 dollars per audio book at the truck stops. I love to read but have no clue what you guys are talking about? Anyone want to take the time to explain in simple English as I am very simple minded? :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Go to Amazon and do a search for Kindle on their site. That would be the best way to explain it as they have some videos etc. I believe. It's an electronic book that you read just like a paper based book but it will hold a couple hundred books in a handheld device. You can move books in and out so it's basically unlimited.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Go to Amazon and do a search for Kindle on their site. That would be the best way to explain it as they have some videos etc. I believe. It's an electronic book that you read just like a paper based book but it will hold a couple hundred books in a handheld device. You can move books in and out so it's basically unlimited.

Awesome! Can you listen to books on it as well? I usually do the audio books while driving.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The new Kindle had audiobooks capability but I believe it was removed due to some sort of conflicts over copyrights or something.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The new Kindle had audiobooks capability but I believe it was removed due to some sort of conflicts over copyrights or something.

Leo,
It has not been removed per se, it has been handed to the author to decide if they want to use the feature in their publications.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I bought a Kindle today and I love it already. What a wonderful device!

From my blog:

I learned today the features and benefits of the Kindle, Nook and Sony e-readers. Learned by comparing them. I also learned much about the Kindle. Learned by exploring it after buying one...

...It hit me last night (as I drove) that it is time to buy an e-reader. I had all kinds of reasons before for not buying one but something clicked last night. Diane did some product research as I drove this morning. We stopped at a Best Buy store where all three devices are on display and decided on a Kindle.

We changed drivers at that stop. Diane was behind the wheel and as far as she was concerned, I might as well have been on the moon. I was lost to her and quickly immersed in my (oops, make that our) new Kindle.

What a delightful device! I declared my love for it just minutes after turning it on. Items:

- The screen is wonderful. It is easier to view than a printed page. The adjustable fonts are an added bonus.

- With the leather cover (additional purchase), it feels great in the hands. It is about the size of a paperback book but thinner and lighter. That's a nice change from some of the 500 page books I sometimes read. It does not matter how many pages your e-book is, it is always the same size and weight on the Kindle.

- Page turning is a breeze. Just click a button. You can lay the Kindle flat on your thigh, keep both hands free while reading a page and then simply push a button to move to the next.

- The Kindle stows easily in the truck. It takes up about the same space as an 8"x5" spiral notebook.

- The price is now reasonable. We held off on an e-reader purchase partly because of the price. The model we bought was bottom of the line and cost about $140 without the leather cover.

- e-readers have come into their own and most of the early criticisms of the Kindle have been addressed. The other reason we held off on an e-reader purchase was to give this new product category time to evolve. Kindle was the first. Sony soon followed. Then came the Nook and others before and after. The iPad also hit the market. Market forces motivated the manufacturers to create better and less expensive products. Those changes lured us in.

- I have read nothing on the device except the user's guide but can already see it will help me better use my time. The internet, with all its links and easy clicking, is a fun, interesting but distracting place. I can put stuff on a Kindle, turn my computer off, and settle in for several hours of focused reading on pre-planned topics.

- The Kindle makes new content available to us that is not normally available on the road. We are unable to subscribe to a local newspaper as we drive around the country. How would you get the printed versions to us? So too with magazines. With Kindle subscriptions, I can view my favorite magazines as soon as they come out, without paying high prices per issue at a news stand. It keeps the truck uncluttered too. When we are done with a periodical, we don't have to look for a dumpster.

- The books I have on my Florida reading list are all recently published and cost a pretty penny in a bookstore. I can buy them at substantial discounts as Kindle books.

I have only begun to appreciate all that a Kindle can do for Diane and me as we live, work and read on the road. I've owned it less than a day and love the little thing.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Good for you, Phil.....you're going to love that thing more each and every time you use it. I see only one problem in your near future and that is the use of your term "our" Kindle. I don't see it as something that is very easy to share....I see another Kindle on your truck shortly.

I recently upgraded from the K2 to the K3 wifi only and I almost had to push the K2 on Jim......now, he can't put the thing down! I'm not only a Kindle user but I've crossed over to being an enabler.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I've picked up a few tips on this KINDLE BOARD.....one of the things I learned was how to get my own pics in there for when it goes to sleep..........this is one of my daughter's face in Mona Lisa's body, she was messing around with pics and posted this on her facebook page and I "borrowed" it for my Kindle. Beats looking at what I lovingly refer to as "those old, dead, white people" all the time....LOL

74199_443682556598_554026598_5807099_7670529_n.jpg

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Here is another of our boy Jake, rarely seen without his ball. He's not a famous author or the object of a famous painting but he's just as special to us as those other people were to their loved ones!!

36154_443682971598_554026598_5807102_7737414_n.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had the original Kindle and upgraded to the K3 a couple months ago. It is really excellent. There are some good websites for ebooks that post the free books available on a daily basis as well as other good information.

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
Hey EnglishLady HINT!! HINT!!

Kindle HINT!! HINT!!! LoL ;)

Hope I'm not too obvious here!!!

Last edited: